(no subject)

Hi all,

I've just updated the libESMTP website with my first prerelease of
libESMTP 0.8.5.  If you maintain a distribution of libESMTP, please
don't submit it onwards until libESMTP 0.8.5 is "officially" released
(no pre... suffix on the version number).

For those who like to live on the bleeding edge or want to check out STARTLS
with certificates this is the version to get.  You can download it from
http://www.stafford.uklinux.net/libesmtp/libesmtp-0.8.5pre1.tar.bz2

To set up the certificates in the right locations, best to read the comments
in smtp-tls.c  I will do some real documentation for this later.

I'd like to know if the certificate works with ones other than the ones I've
issued myself.  E.g. someone who uses certificates they've bought for example.

Other issues are whether the tarball builds without problems on other platforms.
I've dropped gethostbyname from the code and added an emulation of getaddrinfo
using it.  This might affect some older versions of Solaris.  It would be
good to know if the getaddrinfo emulation works on these platforms.

One final point - while testing STARTTLS, I discovered a bug in the SASL
code which causes a SEGV when destroying the smtp_session_t after QUITting
the session with the server.  It seems to be related to authentication failures
when multiple SASL mechanisms supported by libESMTP are offered by the server.
I'm working on this one....

==

Those who prefer a quieter life should stick with version 0.8.4 at
http://www.stafford.uklinux.net/libesmtp/libesmtp-0.8.4.tar.bz2 or
http://www.stafford.uklinux.net/libesmtp/libesmtp-0.8.4.tar.gz

libESMTP-0.8.4 is believed to be the most stable version at present.

Regards
Brian Stafford