Re: feature announcement

On 2001.08.21 17:47 Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> On 2001.08.21 16:30:50 +0200 christophe barbé wrote:
> > > i am now working on 2 patches for balsa now. the status thing in the
> > > compose window (soon i hope with cells, but thats something i have to
> > > think about) since gnomeappbar dont support cells, i need to simulate
> > > this with an vbox, hbox and several gnomestatusbars (in this case
> they
> > > are named different).
> >
> > It's strange. So many apps use cells (at least GQview and gthumb).
>
> i see, but i think its not a gnomeappbar i think its a mixture of
> statusbar something mixed to gether with a bunch of appbars. but i
> will have a clooser look on gthumb to figure out how he did this but
> i am quite sure he applied 3-4 statusbars into a hbox.
>
> > > the other patch is this find stuff. please dont expect super ultra
> > > wonders but the first native 'search in current mail' stuff will be
> > > implemented within the next days (hopefully) so you can search in
> > > preview mode and search in 'mail-window' mode.
> >
> > What would be also great is a 'search mail' feature.
>
> yearch mail ? you mean not limmited on one mail only... also go through
> all mails in e.g. one mailbox and find the right email with the correct
> contents ? well yeah i already thought about this and for sure it will
> follow but please lemme make little cakes for first..
That's the right thing to do, of course, but apart from that:

The "search for message" feature in most mailers I have tested (not that
many, I admit) leaves a lot to be desired. The problem lies in the way the
search results are presented; you will typically get a list of the matching
messages in a separate window. This is not very useful to me at least, as I
want to see the messages in their proper context, i.e. I'm interested in
the whole thread even if not all messages match. In other words, I would
prefer the search function to simply highlight the matching messages in the
normal mailbox view.