Re: IMAPS problems...

On Wed, 22 August 15:35 Carlos Morgado wrote:

> On 2001.08.22 15:10:26 +0100 Brian Stafford wrote:
>
> > > yeah, but advertising LOGINDISABLED inside a SSL connection sounds prety
> > > daft no ?
> >
> > RFC 2595
> >
> > 3.2. IMAP LOGINDISABLED capability
> >
> yeah i know this

we might be talking at cross purposes here

> >    An IMAP server which implements STARTTLS MUST implement support for
> >    the LOGINDISABLED capability on unencrypted connections.
> >
> sounds reasonable

its also a normative requirement by the looks of things.

> >    This capability is useful to prevent clients compliant with this
> >    specification from sending an unencrypted password in an environment
> >    subject to passive attacks.  It has no impact on an environment
>
> how does one send an unencrypted password over a ssl connection ?

since we're talking about tunnelling, the server presumably doesn't know
about the SSL bit, it thinks the channel is clear.

As a side issue.  If the server authenticates using SASL, it would probably
want to disable login since SASL mechanisms (other than PLAIN/LOGIN) protect
the password on a clear text channel.  You wouldn't want to offer SASL and
then let the clear text password mechanism bypass it.

brian