Re: IMAPS problems...

On 2001.08.21 15:09:13 +0100 Toralf Lund wrote:
> Some problems that started occurring after the recent introduction of IMAPS
> support:
>
> 1. A message stating that the certificate was accepted, but not verified
> keeps popping up from time-to-time.

Thats cause either your ssl setup is wrong (openssl) or cause the certificate
wasn't properly signed (and is bad).

> 2. The message occurs even when IMAPS is NOT enabled for any servers.
that's cause the server has TLS, and balsa defaults to using TLS now.
atm the only way of disabling TLS is not compiling with ssl. i hardcoded
it "on" cause a) to see what breaks b) cause i didn't have time to do the
GUI config stuff properly.

> 3. Mail check started using a long time again, or perhaps it hangs
> completely; I'm too impatient right now to find out which.

prolly caused by TLS. compile --without-ssl and see if it gets better

> 1.) Is probably not an error, since I'm using a temporary certificate right
> now. A better way of handling this would be nice though; i.e. I should be
> allowed to acknowledge the message once an for all (yes, I _will_ purchase
> a certificate real soon now...) 2.) however, indicates that there is
> something wrong with the IMAPS config handling, while 3.) could be caused
> by the two others (i.e. the warning message or info box may somehow cause a
> hang.)

when i posted to the list annoncing tls/ssl now actually does something
i mentioned all 1) and 2). you can just tell balsa to send errors to stderr
instead of list if you don't want the list poping up. it's an error cause
accepting that certificates does break the concept of "security" but there
wasn't a better way to do it at the time.

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds