Re: "file:" URLs?

On 2001.08.20 08:23:19 +0100 Toralf Lund wrote:
> On 2001.08.19 23:31 Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> > Am 17.08.2001 16:38:18 schrieb(en) Toralf Lund:
> > > The patch attached to this message is an attempt to make Balsa
> > recognise
> > > URLs of type "file:" within messages. It doesn't work. Can anyone
> > explain
> > > why?
> >
> > The patch looks ok, but maybe the browser doesn't understand it. However,
> > IMHO
> > recognising file: URI's does not make any sense at all for a MUA. It
> > assumes
> > that you have a file at some place on your local machine, send a mail to
> > somebody else, and there is exactly the same file at the same position
> > with
> > proper permissions... what you want to do in this case is simply
> > *attaching*
> > that file!
> No. I want to send a message to and _internal_ address, and refer to a file
> on a directory shared via NFS and readable by anyone. I do not want to
> attach the file, what I'm looking for is an alternative to attachments, for
> LARGE files sent to (still internal) distribution lists. We do this all the
> time, with Netscape Messenger and others.

file: in MUAs is bad for everyone not in the nfs corporate environment (stuff
should be said for the nfs environment too...).
word of warning, if someone implements this create a way to disable it.
having something coming from the exterior referencing stuff in the local disk
is Bad.

cheers

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds