Re: Pointers on debugging an LDAP Address Book Connection

On 2001.08.19 11:25 Pawel Salek wrote:

> On 2001.08.19 19:09 John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
> > Hmm ...
> >
> > I've re-compiled/re-installed Balsa with ldap support, but I'm having
> > some
> > difficulty hooking into the remote ldap server.  Balsa is giving me the
> > following error message:
> >
> > Failed to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server Check that the
> > servername is valid.
> >
> > The server name is ldap.ww.cc.wa.us.  I can ping it, I've verified with
> > the sysop that it's up, but I can't get in.
>
> Try something like:
>
> ldapsearch -x -h ldap.ww.cc.wa.us. 'objectClass=*'
>
> (CL options for openldap-2.0.7-14). you may want to check that the base
> DN
> setting is same as on the LDAP server. I use following entry in the
> /etc/openldap/ldap.conf file:
>
> BASE    o=Theoretical Chemistry, c=SE
>
> (o: organization, c: country)
>
> which saves me specifying this in balsa.
>
> /Pawel
> -----
> Pawel Salek, pawsa@theochem.kth.se

All right, I get:

Script started on Sun Aug 19 13:31:06 2001
ldap_init( ldap.ww.cc.wa.us, 0 )
filter: objectClass=*
requesting: ALL
version: 2

#
# filter: objectClass=*
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1

Script done on Sun Aug 19 13:31:07 2001

I've gotten this with Balsa-1.1.7 built with openldap-2.0.11_4.

I've asked the sysop to compare my BASE line with his.  For some reason,
this looks much easier to do in Netscape.  I'm curious as to why.

jmc