Re: 2 borkage detected

On 2001.08.18 11:58:20 +0200 M . Thielker wrote:
> While I propose to keep the ability to display the trashcan icon, I would
> suggest the following method to fix the undelete problem once and for all,
> and for all message store architectures:

mkay

> Deleting a message will _move_ the message to the trash can, as it does now.
> This is intuitive, it is not intuitive (to me) so see a message I have
> already deleted in my inbox.

ok.

> In the course of that move, a header X-Balsa-Original-Mailbox-URI: will be
> added to the message, containing the URL of the mailbox the message was
> deleted from.

is this RFC conform ? does RFC allow such things to be added ? i am no
GURU of these things.

> On undelete, the information from this new header is used to restore the
> message. The advantage is that the original mailbox will be preserved no
> matter where the trash can is stored, local or remote. Memory based record
> keeping would not be a good idea because it would not allow undeleting of
> messages deleted in prior sessions and keeping track in a separate file
> would fail if something like procmail or another mail ua modifies the
> trashcan.

ok.

> In order for this to work, forwarding of deleted messages _must_ be disabled
> and the header _should_ be removed when a message is undeleted and restored
> to its prior location.

> Possible pitfalls are: trying to restore a message to a deleted folder.

> Solution: put in inbox intead. Also, changing the trash can folder while
> it's not empty.

> Solution: just ignore, in the worst case that could possibly
> result in the new header field being included in a message transmitted over
> the network. Finally, marking a folder as trash can that is not empty.

> Solution: When trying to undelete a message that does not have that special
> header, put it into the inbox.

well i dont understand everything here but as long as its reasonable i am
all for it. but its necessary to keep an eye of the whole code, since something
i really hate is 'remaining dead sourcecode' as it is now, look at the first
mail in this thread, the ifclause for showing the trashicon has no real usage
because someone changed the code before.

conclusion:

- make the codepiece usable
- remove it completely

--