Re: implementing multiple smtp servers...

On Tue, 14 August 10:36 Pawel Salek wrote:

> On 2001-07-20 06:54 Riccardo Persichetti wrote:
> > -i don't know if we should remove the default smtp entries
> >  found under Settings->Preferences->Mail_Servers->Outgoing_mail
> >  and, at start up, load the ones stored on the current identity,
> >  or the Default one.
>
> I do not know, neither. Some user reports would be useful here.

The server specified in Settings->Preferences->Mail_Servers->Outgoing_mail
should be left in place as a default.  If an identity wishes, it can override
the default setting.  This avoids the tedium of entering the same server info
over and over.

> Note
> that the need for multiple SMTP servers is smaller if you can
> authenticate to your server.

Agreed.

> I have rewritten this patch to make it compile with current CVS
> (attached). The identity dialog becomes to big and needs rearrangement
> (use GtkNotebook?).

I can't see how this patch actually sets the smtp server to use in
libbalsa/send.c.  Assume an outbox with a number of messages, some of which
have different sender identities.  The code in send.c will need to create an
SMTP session for each server in use.  There will need to be a lookup mechanism
to identify the correct session for each message in the outbox.  After
populating
each session with the appropriate messages, the sessions can be dispatched in
their own thread.

> BTW, I am going to create a branch in CVS for patches that seem useful
> but not urgent enough to make it into balsa-1.2.0. I am very grateful
> that at least some patches were checked by other people (thanks,
> christophe): I am not able to have a look at all of them and I
> appreciate any help I can get.

I think this is the best approach.  THe SMTP server specification will need
to expand slightly for SMTP over TLS.  Initially for a Use TLS
Never/If Possible/Always option and possibly later to specify a client
certificate etc. when libESMTP supports it.  So aside from the multiple
server in send.c issue, the server configuration is arguably incomplete.

Regards,
Brian Stafford