Re: Help files

On 2001.07.31 15:21:33 +0200 Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> Can someone give me a pointer to guidelines for help files? I added some
> text to help/C/balsa.sgml for adding IMAP subfolders, and it's there in
> CVS, but it doesn't seem to make it into any of the installed html files.

[ point 1 ] ------------------------------------------

just want to point out, that your email is borked in the helpfile
to verify, please go to this file

file:/usr/local/share/gnome/help/balsa/C/authours.html

and go to 'following people contributed.....' you see it there
and i am sure you want to fix that one :)

[ point 2 ] ------------------------------------------

maybe you could add this one to the 'its not working section'
and explain people what they need to do when they get such a
message

Couldn't lock /var/spool/mail/<name>
POP3 mailbox <name> accessing error: Could not open mailbox for
spooling.

or if they cant delete or put files into the inbox or whatever.
well you know what i am up to say, you follow the mailinglist
as many other do so you know the usual questions.

vvvvvvvvv----- this is the solution

cd /var/spool
chmod 1777 mail
cd /var/spool/mail
chmod 600 *

[ point 3 ] ------------------------------------------

maybe the --enable-require-all-recipients thingy might be interesting
too, well we made sure that the configure script takes care of this now
but maybe some people still complain about this because they are using
prebuild libESMTP libraries which hasn't this feature included and they
wonder why they cant do anything because the library fail.

[ point 4 ] ------------------------------------------

people say, all their emails are getting stored into the outbox and
never getting sended. they say, they compiled balsa without problems
and all works just fine. only this fails and this didnt happened with
version 1.1.1 before.

reason, we switched to libesmtp and removed the old smtp code from
balsa, now if you dont have libesmtp installed on your system then
balsa configure script thinks that we use 'sendmail' for maildelivery.
please state something about. install libesmtp if you want to use
balsa or balsa defaults to an existing sendmail... well you know what
i mean.

[ point 5 ] ------------------------------------------

people complain about, i can move mails from inbox to my outbox
but i cant access/move/copy/delete things in my draftsbox.

reason, usually a permission problem, tell them to 'chmod 600 *'
in their ~/mail or ~/Mail dir.

so far so good, since i answered many questions the past weeks
about such equal things, i would ask if we could do somekinda

Balsa-Critical-FAQ.txt

were we put all these things in, i know there is the balsa
readme, but such a faq, that answers all these collected
questions would be serious. so we don't need to answer over
and over again, just whenever we get an email to the mailinglist
just attach the file and good.

hey, this looks like a faq already :)

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac