Re: IMAP check options

On 2001.08.07 09:40 M . Thielker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2001.08.07 15:25 Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> > The function of the `Check IMAP' boxes on the
> Settings->Preferences->Mail
> > Options page isn't what I expected. Balsa goes to the IMAP server with
> > STATUS requests on all mailboxes, regardless of the settings of these
> > boxes, so they don't seem to have any effect on the time it takes to
> carry
> > out a `Check'.
> >
> > What do they accomplish?
>
> When "CheckIMAP Mailboxes" is selected, all IMAP boxes will get a STATUS
> message, this is the former default behavior.
> When "CheckIMAP Mailboxes" is _not_ selected, _no_ IMAP mailboxes will be
> checked, not even the INBOX.
> When both "CheckIMAP Mailboxes" _and_ "Check INBOX only" are set, the
> INBOX
> is the only folder checked by STATUS.

[snip]

OK, this is how I understood the checkboxes. The code in src/main-window.c
reflects this interpretation, with the call libbalsa_mailbox_check
suppressed when appropriate.

However, STATUS (or NOOP) requests are *still* sent to the IMAP server, for
all IMAP mailboxes, regardless of their settings--you can verify this by
dumping the tcp traffic. They are sent by imap_mailbox_check, which is
called from mutt_buffy_check, from libbalsa_notify_start_check, from
check_messages_thread in src/main-window.c (if BALSA_USE_THREADS is
defined). The calling code isn't conditional on the settings of
balsa_app.check_imap or balsa_app.check_imap_inbox.

The attached patch, against today's CVS tree, represents a first cut at
fixing things (offered for discussion only). The libmutt code is passed a
callback that tests whether or not to issue the STATUS request. All
comments and suggestions welcome.

balsa-imap-check-patch.gz