Re: IMAP check options

Hi,

On 2001.08.07 15:25 Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> The function of the `Check IMAP' boxes on the Settings->Preferences->Mail
> Options page isn't what I expected. Balsa goes to the IMAP server with
> STATUS requests on all mailboxes, regardless of the settings of these
> boxes, so they don't seem to have any effect on the time it takes to carry
> out a `Check'.
>
> What do they accomplish?

When "CheckIMAP Mailboxes" is selected, all IMAP boxes will get a STATUS
message, this is the former default behavior.
When "CheckIMAP Mailboxes" is _not_ selected, _no_ IMAP mailboxes will be
checked, not even the INBOX.
When both "CheckIMAP Mailboxes" _and_ "Check INBOX only" are set, the INBOX
is the only folder checked by STATUS.

The intent is this:
I use my IMAP server for netwide storage only, I do not receive mail there.
So I _deselect_ both boxes.

If someone receives mail through IMAP, _both_ boxes should be checked to
have Balsa check the INBOX only.

If several users (or instances of Balsa) use a single IMAP folder tree
concurrently, "Check IMAP Mailboxes" should be selected and "Check INBOX
only" should be deselected. Thereby, changes made by other users to any IMAP
folder will be visible on the next mailcheck.

Melanie