Re: Line-wrap && RFC 2646

On Fri,  3 August 07:48 Emmanuel wrote:
> 	Hi all,
> on the line-wrap discussion Brian you talked about RFC 2646. But please
> clarify a bit : the text we have to wrap is or is not RFC 2646-compliant

RFC 2646 describes the format for flowed text in a MIME document, i.e. it
describes a format to relaibly distinguish soft and hard line breaks that
is backwards compatible with existing MUAs.

It would be expected that the application translates between the RFC 2646
format and its own soft and hard line break convention when reading and writing
the message in a mailbox.

> (eg are there soft breaks SP+CRLF or just SP+\n or something else ?) ?.

\n is not legal in RFC 2822 messages.  Line endings are CR-LF.  Of course
the application may its own line ending convention internally.

> We could have a boolean in the wrap functions telling us that the text
> to wrap is or is not RFC 2646-compliant so we could know how the
> paragraphs are delimited.

It would make most sense to translate from the RFC 2646 format to that used
by the GTK text widget when reading and the reverse when copying the message
back to the mailbox.  There is no need for the text widget to understand the
2646 format directly.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards
Brian