On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, James deBoer wrote:

> Hello,
> I an attempt to compile balsa 9.5.0 and a recent CVS download, I have come
> across this problem. Everything compiles and installed fine, but when I go
> to run in I get this error:
> balsa: error in loading shared libraries: cannot open
> Now, I compiled and installed pspell, and the ispell module. I /think/
> everything went ok with that. I can find in /usr/local/lib/
> . How come this is not working for me? What am I missing?

It most likely is because Balsa doesn't know where to find the library.
Although you compiled the library, by default most systems do not look in
/usr/local/lib for shared libraries.

There are two options;  You can set an environment variable, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to the location of the shared library (/usr/local/lib).  Or, if you have
root access, you can add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ and run ldconfig
to add /usr/local/lib to the default search path.

Matthew Guenther                       Friends are relatives you make for                  yourself.