Re: balsa-0.9.5 released

On 2000-09-20 10:11:47 Jules Bean wrote:
> Yes, this is a common pattern -- most people who don't always write in
> English write occasionally in at least two languages.  Could balsa have a
> menu in the 'compose' window for changing the language of the current
> mail?

I have impression that the best thing is to change the charset selection to
language selection (That would also control the charset selection). This
would also in principle solve the gdk_font_load/gdk_fontset_load problem.
gdk_fontset_load cannot be used for single-byte charsets because it uses in
such a case current locale setting to determine the charset (the values
specified in XLFD is ignored).

as I see it now, we should replace the charset selection ('ISO charset' has
BTW become misleading since KOI charsets are included as well) with
language selection, and gtk_font_load with gtk_fonset_load in file
src/sendmsg-window.c (Browsing code would require some extra thinking, but
this is not relevant for the moment). Language selection would call
setlocale().

I have already tried the described algorithm but then gtk_text_get_chars
apparently failed to return correct string and I need to look closer at the
problem.

Does anybody know how these issues are solved in other programs?

/Pawel
--
Pawel Salek (pawsa@theochem.kth.se) http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/
Theoretical Chemistry Division, KTH voice: +46 8 790-8202