Re: Next release.

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 21:11:00 Pawel Salek wrote:

> I am back again. Nice to see stuff moving and improving. Is everything
> ready for the fature freeze? Any pending patches?
>
> I think we could release balsa-0.9.5 (=0.10.0-pre1, or whatever) on the
> weekend and then polish small details, hunt bugs etc.

There are only three things I see that really need fixing prior to
release.

1. Configuring with --disable-threads fails to build, a function is being
   called with too many arguments, obvious fix.

2. If you spell check the messge in the composition window and replace
   any mis-spelled word, 'Edit->Reflow Message' will then crash balsa
   (Edit->Reflow Paragraph may be effect as well, sorry I didn't check).

3. Memory leak in the rendering of image/* and text/html parts. (I've
   submitted a patch to Ian that removes the automatic rendering of
   message parts, but it only circumvents the problem and doesn't plug
   the leak).

There are several things I'd personally like to see polished and/or
resolved sometime in the near future, but probably not in the next
release. Most are just minor annoyances.

1. Window scrolling in composition window is slightly incorrect,
   does not work correctly with wheel mice (use scrolled window
   widget?).

2. Label font for message parts (i.e. text/html etc) is not
   adjustable, appears to be hardcoded (use gtk theme defaults
   perhaps?).

3. Word wrapping still needs work, messes up regularly when two
   long words are followed by a series of shorter words (looks
   like it's not taking into account the length of the first word
   when a line is wrapped).

4. "Inbox" does not update correctly in the mailbox tree.  Purely
   cosmetic, as it functions correctly just fails to "highlight"
   when new mail arrives.

5. Geometry is currently not being saved for message view and
   composition windows.

6. Message transfer from folder-to-folder is clumbsy.  Would it
   be possible to use direct drag-and-drop from the index to the
   folder tree?

7. When last message is deleted in message index, previous message
   should automatically be selected and displayed (minor annoyance).

8. When replying to a multipart message containing 'text/plain' and
   'text/html' parts, the 'text/html' part is automatically inlined
   with the 'text/plain', in the very least it should be sent as it
   was received as an attachment, or perhaps not sent back in the
   reply at all.

9. Space for attachment iconlist is allocated in composition window and
   label is displayed, yet attachments are not displayed by default.

10. Copying message body text in composition window is Windowish and
    not UNIXish (i.e. you must select the text in the message body
    and then 'Edit->Copy' before you can 'Edit->Paste' *ick*).

11. Cycling through the header fields in the composition window using
    the tab key does not end with the cursor in the message body.

Note, the above list contains things I personally find annoying and/or
counter-intuitive in balsa, so please don't take offense to it.

Thanks.

-tac