Re: - IMAP, POP problem ? -

On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 19:14:38 Ian Campbell wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 18:30:08 Paul Theo Gonciari wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found a couple of things, might happen only in my place :o)
>>
>> * if you close the IMAP mailbox and open it again, there are no messages
>displayed in the mailbox
>>

>Don't know about that....

this happens if the state of the mailbox has not changed. If you open the mailbox the first time,
the mailbox contain the messages, if you close it and open again - no more messages.
If you had new messages the first time when you opened the mailbox, you can close it and open it again, and all the messages are there, but if you close it now the next time you open it - no more messages !!!

>> * if it takes some time to connect to the POP3 server, balsa is frozen while
>it tryies to connect (this was working with 0.9.1 and 0.9.2 - means you could do
>something else - i.e. check for mail on a IMAP mailbox)
>>
>> * if you open a mailbox which is big, it frozes balsa also (would be nice to
>compose a message, click to open a mailbox - get some status message or a log
>message - wait while loading .... - . continue with other stuff in balsa and balsa
>would activate the tab with the corresponding mailbox when done)
>>

>Both of these two are due to additional thread locking introduced sometime
>since 0.9.2 or so.
>
>They are needed to prevent other problems, but in some cases they do cause the
>main thread to block... I am looking into ways to improve things.... (the
>problem is that libmutt was never intended to be used multithreaded...)

Is it possible to lock mutt for different types of activities ?
Since , at least the first point (from above) worked before, it should mean that mutt is able to handle POP3 and IMAP in the same time. The same applies for reading one mailbox while receiving mail into another one - for the moment, if I'm receiving mail from POP3 and want to browse one mailbox  no way !! - which was possible with 0.9.2

I saw there is a global mutt_lock, wouldn't it be better to have a mutt_imap_lock, mutt_local_lock and mutt_pop_lock.

theo