Re: Mailbox tree bugs in 1.0-pre1

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 11:35:53 Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Oct 2000 20:17:12 Frank Murphy wrote:
> >
> > I've rpm upgraded from 0.9.5 to Balsa 1.0-pre1, and I feel I should
> > report a couple of bugs I've noticed (that were around since 0.94, I
think).

> > I use balsa primarily for IMAP mail reading (I also check my local
mbox,
> > but just for machine errors). In the mailbox tree, I have about 20
> > mailboxes. On startup, only my IMAO inbox, Local mbox, and the standard
> > Balsa boxes (draft, out, sent, and trash) have the little mailbox
icons.
> > I filter my mail on the server side (with procmail), and when I select
> > mailbox that has new mail in it, balsa adds a "full mailbox" icon,
> > which then persists as an empty mailbox icon until I restart balsa. For
the
> > pretty factor, shouldn't all mailboxes have some icon? Or at least line
> > up the text.
>
> It's a known (I think) Problem with IMAP stuff, someone should really fix
> it some day ;-)
>
> > A (potentially) related problem is that the mailbox tabs do not even
> > exist until I select a mailbox from the tree. If these are that broken,
> > perhaps it should be removed.
>
> There should only be tabs for open mailboxes, so they won't exist - until
> you open a mailbox. ie it's supposed to be like that...

Fair enough. However, then the mailbox tabs would be worthless without the
mailbox tree listing (there's no way to open an upopened mailbox with only
the mailbox tabs open.

> > Also, when I select a mailbox that has unread mail, it changes color. I
> > understand that counting all the unread mail in each box every five
> > minutes, but how about checking for new messages and bolding the
> > mailbox name (or just giving a mailfull icon).
>
> Look in Prefs->Mail Options->Incoming, check the "Check mail every x
> minutes" box.

I have that checked for 5 minutes, and it check INBOX, just not any other
folders (until I click the folder).

> > Under Preferences.../Mail Servers, there's a field for "remote
> > mailboxes". These seem to be POP boxes (as opposed to IMAP). I would
think
> > that this functionality would be better left in the "new mailbox"
setup.
> > (I'm not sure that mailboxes are a preference. Perhaps a button to a
milbox
> > editing window?)
>
> POP mailboxes are different to IMAP ones, since they are downloaded into
> your local INBOX - that is why they are separate.

At the very least, the title of the window should be "POP Mailboxes"
instead of "Remote" (IMAP is remote, too). I don't use POP, so figured that
one could send all POP mail to a configurable mailbox (instead of only to
INBOX).

> > And a final small visual bug is that if you don't display both Icons
> > and Text in the iconbar, the Next Unread icon is the same as the next
Icon.
> > (I don't have a suggestion on what the icon should look like though.
>
> Perhaps next unread should be a double headed version of next, but I'm no
> artist ;-)

Neither am I. Unfortunately...

Frank

--