Re: LDAP Support

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:00:12 Ralph Churchill wrote:
> I'm trying to get LDAP to work for Balsa 1.0. I had to modify
> configure.in to include "-lresolv". Without it, the LDAP test was
> failing.  It  builds just fine with that addition and ldapsearch works
> fine from the command-line, but Balsa always says it can't find the LDAP
> server (or crashes). I've tried about every combination of server and
> base domain name and nothing works!!! Any ideas? This is really the only
> thing keeping me from using Balsa. I work in a corporate environment and
> we use LDAP all the time.... Thanks.

Interesting.  I suppose its configure's job to find -lresolv.
Its interesting that -lresolv does not get added.  It should need that
for the sendmail host too, shouldn't it?

As to why it doesn't work, please try the ldap server's IP, and
for Domain name, you need to enter what you enter as the -b
parameter in ldapsearch.

For me, I use
ldapsearch -b "dc=ucs, dc=co, dc=za" -h jhb.ucs.co.za "(email=*)"
so my Base Domain name is "dc=ucs, dc=co, dc=za" (without the quotes).
If you don't use a -b option, I can send you a patch that will
accept "".  The patch works for me, but my LDAP server doesn't accept
"" (returns no addresses), so its untested.

btw, I'm really interested to know if it works, and how big your LDAP
directory is (100, 1,000 or 10,000 entries.).  Balsa /will/ be slow
with big directories - so you may want to change LDAP_CACHE_TIMEOUT
in libbalsa/address-book-ldap.c, as it isn't configurable yet.
I'm planning (ahem) to make it work nicer with big directories,
or over slow lines.  It is an outstanding bug.