Re: Main window design proposal

Try switching on the 'show mailbox tabs' under the view menu in 1.0
then select in turn each mail box you have so that they are all allocated
a tab. Then switch off  mail box tree, view-show mail box tree. Finally
preferences startup and check 'remember open mailboxes between
sessions'.

This should have a similar effect to that you are looking for.