dead-letter file support?

Dear Balsites,

I am a happy Balsa user, I use Balsa on my Linux server and find it quite
stable. However, my wife very much likes Windows NT, and I convinced her to
use Balsa over Exceed. However, Exceed does not like connection time outs
and will close windows if the network is down for even a short period.

A number of times my wife has been writing a long message and my hub's
power supply went out. Exceed hung, she clicked away, until I plugged the
hub back in and the next thing you know, Balsa was gone. Once, I noticed
that Balsa was still running, so I used GDB to debug the binary and
extracted her message out of it. However, she's lost many messages this
way.

Of course, I can't fix Exceed, and don't ask why the hub keeps going
hub-bub, so I think a >really< useful feature for Balsa under this
circumstances would be to create dead-letter files for each message in
progress when it crashes (ala Pine, my old mail reader). I am not sure how
it would be implemented, with a signal handler in mutt, or by some other
means, but I could help with the implementation. Even better would be the
ability to send it a signal to die and create dead-letter files for all
open files. I once tried "kill -ABRT <balsapid>" on a balsa in this
situation and it did not dump core :(.

She's threatening to return to Outlook if she looses any more messages!
She'd already be there if I didn't save that last message.

Sincerely,
Terence Haddock