Re: profiles

>I think we have our signals crossed still.  If the recipiant users were all
local to workstation's domain then yes I can see your point but still
disagree with the implementation because it creates extra users and more
work for me, something software should never do.
>But lets consisder my own setup.  I have a DSL connection.  With that I get
a pop account, tysons@rcsis.com.  Now I also have my own domain that is a
colo server with 4 accounts (admin, webmaster, rael and
scott@therubberroom.org).  I also have an old ISP account from before my DSL
days tysons@deepwell.com.  As you can see to work with all these accounts
I'd have to create a boat load of local users and run balsa a boat load of
times to handle my mail.  NOT a good way to do things.   The way balsa is
designed right now the sending information is specific to the current Linux
user but it allows multiple incoming mail profiles.
>It should allow the "option" detach the outgoing profile from the Linux
user and instead create a mail profile that includes sending and recieving
information.  My local Linux user is used just to get me logged onto my box
it has nothing to do with any of my pop accounts nor do I want it to.
>Just my $0.02

Again, the basic idea remains the same, though the implementation differs.
But I can see your point - one of the things I really like about Pan (as
opposed to Free Agent) is that multiple news servers are available. And I've
also appreciated the profile feature in Pegasus Mail, where multiple users
in Windows are difficult at best.

The main difference between us is that I use user accounts as conceptual
devices - if I'm logged in as "spam", then I'm a hack Python programmer that
addresses a particular NNTP server, SMTP server and .signature related to my
programming work, but if I'm logged in as "david", then I'm just my normal
conversational self, with a different NNTP server, SMTP server and
.signature, and so on. But if you don't create those kinds of nooks and
cranies in your brain, then a single user account with multiple profiles in
your mail reader makes sense.

I'll add for completeness that I think profile management would be a good
feature down the line.

Raven
Raven (not the OTHER Raven, THAT Raven :-)
<ravens_nest@att.net> <http://home.att.net/~ravens_nest>

And if love remains
Though everything is lost
We will pay the price