deleting messages from spool file

Hello,

   I'm running balsa 0.9.0 in a Redhat 6.2 environment.
I use a local sendmail server with my mail in the usual
spool file (i.e., /var/spool/mail/username). When I
delete messages using balsa's "delete" button, they
disappear from balsa's message listing, but they don't
get deleted from my spool file even when I click the
"commit" button. They do get deleted if I shutdown
and restart balsa, but that seems a little drastic.
Is there any way to have the messages deleted from
my spool file when I click the "commit" button?