Re: character encoding?

> Hello,
>
>    I was delighted when I tried the latest version of balsa
> and found that it came up with Japanese menus, etc., because
> I want to use it to read email in Japanese. However, I find
> that, although I can send messages in Japanese OK, I cannot
> read them. In some cases I can also not see the message I'm
> sending after using the input method to input Japanese
> characters.
Balsa 0.9.0 has some problems with reading messages with non-standard
encoding.
I send patch for KOI8 yesterday.
IMHO, some problems can be solved if use gdk_fontset_load instead of
gdk_font_load anythere in the code. Or may be I am wrong?
>   I presume this has something to do with the "encoding"
> setting, whose default is ISO-8859-1. So, I'd like to change
> this, but can anyone please tell me how to find out what
> encodings are valid? I've tried semingly sensible things like
> UNICODE, JIS, ISO-2022-JP, but have had no success. I can
> get some European characters showing up instead of Japanese,
Oh, yes, it is because gdk_font_load used instead of gdk_fontset_load, I had
same problem with cyrrilic.
> but once that happens they won't go away, even if I return
> the encoding to ISO-8859-1.
>   Any suggestions appreciated.
Try to change all gdk_font_load to gdk_fontset_load in all source files. It is
a very rough patch and it is not correct in all cases, but may be helps you in
your problem.