Re: Help with GPG implementation

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:52:16 Pawel Salek wrote:

> On 2000-07-03 11:04 Carlos Morgado wrote:
> > What are you doing ? Invoking gpg as an external program ? That is
> Wrong.
> > Actually, that is wrong in 2 ways. Way 1 is you shouldn't (need to)
> invoke
> > gpg. There is something called libgcrypt on gpg1.1 that adresses
> that.
> > Way 2 is you shouldn't just be writting support for balsa. It's almost
> as easy
> > to write gpg support for gnome.
>
> <flame>Whatever the method is, it's much better than vapourware
> :-)</flame>.

nod :) that's what i said towards the end :)
i'm pretty much tied by the grinding halt of libgcrypt :\

this is the way used by spruce and one the main spruce guys, i forget
which, agrees this is the wrong way.

> Frankly, I hope that you Peter use the "right" method that can be also
> used in the future by other projects. Code reuse is a dream of zillions of
> programmers :-).
>
> Concerning the right place for encryption (when sending), I think one
> could place it just after src/sendmsg-window.c:1252 (bsmsg2message()
> funct)
>
>   body->buffer = gtk_editable_get_chars(GTK_EDITABLE (bsmsg->text), 0,
> 					gtk_text_get_length (
> 					   GTK_TEXT (bsmsg->text)));
>
> The question is of course, if the attachments are to be crypted too (I
> admit I am not very familiar with the methods/possibilities). The
> alternative place is just after bsmsg2message() invocation but I am not so
sure
> about this one.

the mutt approach seems nice (UI). mutt creates the email (attach list,
attachs) and then encrypts the whole thing. you could also give the option
to crypt attachments separetly (there zurich would come in handy - i'm
planning a "save this file crypted" service)

>  I don't know really where to place the decryption call; AFAIK balsa
> decodes messages to /tmp directory so it would be better to decrypt AFTER
> reading decoded messages from disk.

you need to save a decrypted tmp to disk and then open that. ideally you pipe
the mail to gpg and pipe it back to balsa without disk tmps

> /Pawel

/chbm/more_words_than_code :)

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds