Re: Filter

Brian Stafford <brian.stafford@office-logic.com> wrote:

> At a guess, procmail rc files would usually need to be rewritten anyway
> since the existing ones are all pre-delivery and Balsa is post-delivery.

Would this mean that those of us who already make use of procmail wouldn't be
left in the lurch with this new plan?

> I don't think much would be lost forcing users to change now rather than
> at some point in the future.  Procmail scripts are something of a
> write-only language and not very useful or even comprehensible to
> non-programmers.

Having lived with it for quite some time, I'm not keen to spend hours in a GUI
situation re-doing the hundred or so filters I already have.

It's the word "force" used in your quote above that has me most concerned.  I'm
not against your GUI approach - in fact, seive sounds quite good - and I would
probably make use of it for further filtering uses - especially on folders.

But, if you were literal in the use of the word "force", if I had to ditch what
I currently use in order to use Balsa, as much as I like it as a mail agent,
it'd be the one to go, not my filtering software.

> It is this class of user who have mostly been denied
> the benefits of UA filtering (and are presumably among Balsa's target
> audience) due to the lack of easily configurable tools.

I agree it's important to help make this an easier process, and as mentioned,
Seive sounds lovely - but choice is important too.  Adding it to Balsa would be
fantastic as long as it doesn't preclude the use of other choices.

PS - It's not that I'm an evil genius, it's just I managed to copy and paste
procmail filters that work for me and adjust the pasted one for new use.  It's
the ability to copy something already set up and make minor changes that I like
about it. Hopefully Seive offers something similar as well.  Anything that
saves on typing can't be all bad. ;-)

Cheers,
Gaelyne

    *  .  *
  . _\/ \/_ .    Gaelyne R. Gasson        gaelyne@videocam.net.au
   \  \ /  /     90 Hilliers Rd           Phone: +61 8 8322-2716
 -==>: X :<==-   Reynella, S.A. 5161      Fax:   +61 8 8387-5810
   / _/ \_ \     Australia                ICQ:   5069384
  '  /\ /\  '               http://gaelyne.com/
    *  '  *            http://videocam.net.au/xmas.html