Re: pgp support?

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 06:13:54PM -0400, Peter A. Kimball wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote:
> > I have heard rumours (on Evolution list I think) that the gnupg people are
> > working on making the backend of gpg into a library.
> >
> > If this is true, I would think waiting untill this becomes available might be
> > advisable, it will certainly make life easier...
> It certainly would have for me:  There was, for a while, a library made by one of
> the GPG developers which was supposed to do all of the hard work, Privacy Guard
> Glue (PGG), and I did look into using it, but development seems to have stopped
> on it, and I was unable to get it to work.  I tried contacting the developer, but
> got no response.

hum. gpg glue is not the same has libgpg. gpg glue forks gpg and talks to it
via stdin pipes. yucky

or is it even other gpg glue lib ?
> I will say that the way I had to do the GPG interactions is highly insecure.
> Because I had to use pipes to get data to and from GPG, there are security issues
> which would be resolved by using a library.  Now, should this level of security
> be an issue for the general user: probably not.  But, for the really paranoid,
> yes.
It's Wrong. it's broken, ugly and disgusting :)
> I don't know if anyone has looked at what I've written, I hope I didn't make it
> sound too poor.  It does work, but I'm sure if you're willing to wait, using the
> library is a better deal.

Someone (you ? i forget :\) proposed using this method while we wait for gpg
people and i agreed. it sucks but it's better than nothing :\

meanwhile i'm trying to get zurich underway so that we all have a corba
interface to crypto.

Carlos Morgado - chbm(at)chbm(dot)nu - -- gpgkey: 0x1FC57F0A FP:0A27 35D3 C448 3641 0573 6876 2A37 4BB2 1FC5 7F0A
[.sig not available - hiding behynd lost inode]