Re: pgp support?

Ian Campbell wrote:

> I have heard rumours (on Evolution list I think) that the gnupg people are
> working on making the backend of gpg into a library.
>
> If this is true, I would think waiting untill this becomes available might be
> advisable, it will certainly make life easier...

It certainly would have for me:  There was, for a while, a library made by one of
the GPG developers which was supposed to do all of the hard work, Privacy Guard
Glue (PGG), and I did look into using it, but development seems to have stopped
on it, and I was unable to get it to work.  I tried contacting the developer, but
got no response.

I will say that the way I had to do the GPG interactions is highly insecure.
Because I had to use pipes to get data to and from GPG, there are security issues
which would be resolved by using a library.  Now, should this level of security
be an issue for the general user: probably not.  But, for the really paranoid,
yes.

I don't know if anyone has looked at what I've written, I hope I didn't make it
sound too poor.  It does work, but I'm sure if you're willing to wait, using the
library is a better deal.

Peter