Re: Excessive memory use?

A large propeortion of that is the gnome libraries, which are shared
between all runnin gnome programs, so this figure is misleading.

There is apaper on this, I can't find a link to it, but here is a pointer
to the CVS version via
bonsai: http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsblame.cgi?file=white-papers/MemoryUsage/MemoryUsage.txt&rev=&root=/cvs/gnome

Post the ful details (eg RSS SIZE SHARE etc) and  we'll see what we have

You mention in a subsequent mail a leak when opening mailboxes, this may
be true, I periodically go through balsa with memprof to check for leaks,
but I haven't recently so there may be something there. Does the size go
down when you explicitly close (via context menu) a mailbox?

I wonder - if an app allocates lots of memory and then frees it, does RSS
go down straight away, perhaps the memory remains in the processes address
space and is re-used for further allocations.. I guess what I am asking is
"is the heap shrunk on a free?"