Re: Folders

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Carlos Morgado wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 14:44:29 Nathan Clemons wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Carlos Morgado wrote:

[snip]
> > Maybe you have the time to complain individually about each one, or an
> > email address unknown enough not to get a few hundred pieces of spam a
> > week. If so, more power to you! But otherwise, some of us will do what we
> > need to to solve the problem as we see it. Whether that be RSS, RBL, ORBS,
> > automated spam complaining systems tying with procmail, or whatever.
> >
> > My point was more that with a filter, you could select a message,
> > "filter" it so it would bring up a template for a complaint. The user
> > could then alter it to suit their purposes before sending it. Another
>
> oh. i instanteneously thought Gooch-on-crack-on-linux-kernel-ml type
> autoresponder and barfed. that would be acceptable yes.

Heh. *kicks himself as a reminder to unsubscribe from that list that he
hasn't read in over a year and a half* Most of the time you try to
implement some type of a filtering/response system with your mail, you'll
end up with bugs. And then they get very visible, in an unkind fashion. My
pet peeve now is companies who send email without any To: or
Cc: line... like Verisign, for sending certificate renewal reminders.

> > filter could also be to clean up mail headers on a forwarded message,
> > which would cut down on the amount of "noise" in some mailing lists and
> > provide more "signal".
> >

> i still think procmail when i think mail filtering, but since balsa has
> pop3 it might as well have filters (to avoid being incomplete).

Hmmm. Perhaps I'm using the wrong term here. In PINE, these are filters
that take a message that has either been delivered to the system or
composed on the system and then pass it through a set of actions before
either sending the mail or displaying the mail.

This should not (ideally :) be confused with something like procmail,
which filters in a "sorting" method as to where messages go when they need
to be delivered.

Not sure what else they could be called, but I think this distinction
might help clear up the confusion.

> > Just some thoughts. I'm not saying we should per se go out and do this. It
> > was more an idea that I was mentioning for comments, with some attempts at
> > possible scenarios.
> >

> sorry, i didn't mean to be offensive in any way or imply you are "wrong"
> but years of usenet and mls made me like this ;)
>
> cheers

Know the feeling. That's why I'm replying so fast... and trying to keep it
polite in the best interests of 'nettiquette. :)

--
Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688