screen lock on imap message transfer

when i transfer messages from one imap mailbox to another, my screen locks
up completely until the transfer is complete.  i can still use my mouse, but
clicks have no effect, my panel doesn't slide out, and my window manager
(sawmill) doesn't respond to clicks or hot keys.  this is really annoying,
especially over slow links, as it keeps me from being able to do anything in X
until the transfer is complete.  i'm using a fairly recent balsa from cvs on
debian unstable.  thanks for any help.

--
"Hey! You're that english secret agent! From England!"
  -J.W.