Re: Todo list

On threaded mail checking:

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Jules Bean wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Peter Williams wrote:
>
> > This is the list I've compiled of suggestions; there may be forgotten ones:
> >
> > o  Use GnomeDruid for init code (started on this)
> > o  Remember more settings: column widths, compose / view window sizes
> > o  Fix message status icon in folder view.
> > o  Double-click on opened folder closes it

> More substantial todos:
>
> o Thread mails
> o Better IMAP support
>
> Jules

OK, sorry for my protracted absence from the list!  Unfortunately, I
dropped off the face of the earth for work reasons.  For those who weren't
on the list awhile back, I had a working patch for multi-threaded mail
checking;  I was holding off on committing this to the development tree so
that I could clean it up a bit -- my first stab was a bit messy -- and
more importantly, to re-think how I might have balsa display the progress.
I was trying to get the tread to "play nice" with GTK which was a big
mistake.  Taking my lead from a discussion on gnome-devel, I'll probably
use glib/g_io_add_watch to have the main thread handle GTK
widget/dialog stuff, but I have to look into this further.

In any case, there's no way I'll have it ready for people to test before
Wednesday.  I can pound out a quick and dirty (but functional and
hopefully bug-free) version of threaded mail checking and have people test
this and put it in CVS quickly, or I can tackle the GUI stuff at the same
time, and give people something more complete to test, which will drag it
out a bit.

Any preferences?

Also, does anyone have a multi-processor machine they can use to test the
code?  It's been mentioned that several classes of bugs with threaded code
only appear w/ multi-processor machines.

David