Re: CVS Snapshot compile problem

Hi Troy,

(did you read gnome faq ? it may help you to understand some of the issues
here)

// All,
//
// Many thanks to those who helped me properly log into the CVS server and
// download the Balsa source.  I spent a number of hours this weekend working
// with the source and attempting to compile it, however I've reached a point
// I can't get past.  I have successfully compile and installed glib and gtk+,
// however when I try to compile imlib, I get the following error when I type
// ./autogen.sh:
//
// I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
// to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
// aclocal: configure.in: 11: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
// utils/Makefile.am:154: variable `GTK_LIBS' not defined
// utils/Makefile.am:154: variable `GTK_LIBS' not defined
(* some error messages here *)

This means that aclocal can not find some .m4 macro files.

When you installed libtool/glib/gtk+ .... you must have installed them
in some locations different from /usr, and aclocal looks into /usr/share/
aclocal to find its macro files.

if you installed some packages in /usr/local, you have to say aclocal to look
into /usr/local/share/aclocal. If you used the --prefix=$prefix option
with autogen.sh (where $prefix is a base directory, /opt/GNOME for instance)
you have to tell aclocal to look into
$prefix/GNOME/share/aclocal

to tell aclocal to look into those directories, you can, when using autogen.sh,
write the search paths in  the environemnt variable ACLOCAL_FLAGS just like
you would set the CFLAGS variable to set the cpp search paths.

for example, suppose you installed some packages in /usr/local and some others
in /opt/GNOME, you would type:
export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/local/share/aclocal -I /opt/GNOME/share/aclocal/"
./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/GNOME

Dont' forget the space between the -I flag and the path.

//
// Before I was able to compile glib, I had to compile and install libtool
// which I got from the url specified by glib when the compilation initially
// failed.
//
// It seems to me that something related to gtk is missing, but I'm at a loss
// to say what.  If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'll keep at it.
//
// Thanks and regards,
//
// Troy Denkinger