IMAP and POP modes

hi all,

>If (like me) you store your mail on a remote server (which is the Right
>Way (tm) if you need the ability to read mail from various different
>places), then IMAP support is a must.

Well IMAP is the ideal.. but when we're talking about a 0.5.0 stable release it
might be satisfactory to have it fairly bug free with stable pop support.

>> -Why aren't mailbox transfers and mail deletions immediate in their
>> effect? SHould they be? I have to click on "Mailboxes -> Commit Current"
>> to make these have an effect. Would be better for this to be instant.
>> I'm sure we'll have an "undo" button eventually.
>
>presumably this is thinking ahead to the IMAP case?
>I would suggest it be optional, especially for people who have their mail
>local.

ahh of course. I didn't think of this... I use netscape for IMAP and I don't
think it has such a thing.. changes just happen...

I would suggest the 'commit changes' command should be an icon on the
toolbar that works when you are in IMAP mode (ie: using IMAP somewhere).

When you just have POP or local mail, the button should be faded out or
non-existant.

It is very frustrating to have to commit changes just to move files around
local mailboxes.

>> -Are mailboxes simply based on text files with the email concatenated
>> inside them? This is a great idea. Very open. Plus it is compatible with
>> other email programs like elm. Maybe down the track it would be a good
>> idea to allow Balsa to read gziped mailboxes, for those of us who have
>> more spare CPU than we do HD space.
>
><grin> yes, but it's not a new idea - that's called mailbox or mbox
>format, and is used by almost all unix emailers..

doh ok. :)

I used elm alot as an undergrad and didn't know you could do this. oh well.

ta,
wayne
Wayne Schuller - BSc. (Computer Science) Network Administrator
Centre for Health Program Evaluation - Austin Repat Hospital - Heidelberg.
Web: http://ariel.unimelb.edu.au/chpe/  My phone: (03) 94964448
w.schuller@gpph.unimelb.edu.au