[michal ellpspace math ualberta ca: balsa 0.6.0]

forwarding here for better visibility of problems

I tried your new release on my Alpha.  As far as the program itself goes
then results are not very appealing.    Either it crashes immediately in
add_mailbox() function from local-mailbox trying to dereference null
pointers in order to check various (non-existing yet) mailbox types or,
with this fixed, opens a huge window (two screens high and one screen
wide - I think) with a title "Configure Balsa", an inscription "Welcome
to Balsa!" on a navy-blue top and left margins and nothing else.  It
just sits there, making hard to get to anything else, and leaving
as the only option a kill.  No any reaction whatsoever on a keyboard
or mouse.  On stdout I am getting:
'*** One of inbox/outbox/sentbox/draftbox/trash is NULL'
which is indeed the case but hardly helpful.

balsa-0.4.9.5, which I tried before, at least starts on my machine
and opens some mail window.  Not that I really attempted to use it to
send and receive mail but this is at least a start.

There is a usual spate of complaints from gcc about conversions between
pointers and ints of different sizes.  Sigh!  Comparing pointers in
ab_delete_compare():address-book.c after casting them effectively to
'int' will definitely not fly on any 64-bit platform.  Sometimes it may
even work, purely by an accident, but do not count on it.  Besides
casting them to signed types may actually reverse returned values.  I do
not think that you are much worse comparing straight pointers anyway;
even if C does not guarantee that results will be valid there are also
no guarantees that a cast helps in any manner.  Other nasties may simply
reflect design deficiencies in gtk; I do not know at this moment.

    Regards,
    Michal
    michal@harddata.com