RE: Multi-threaded sending in CVS / SMTP bug(?)

DAVID, YOU DA MAN!

On Tue, 07 Dec 1999 16:56:29 Hector Garcia wrote:

> On 07-Dec-99 David Pickens wrote:
> > I had to temporary disable the code in SMTP that looped through outbox to
> > send messages -- hope you don't mind Hector.  I'll re-activate this later.
> > For the threads to work I have to pretty rigorously separate GTK/glib code
> > from Message/Mailbox code and I/O.  Hector -- one of the SMTP functions
> > w/in the threads uses GList:  is there any change that we can move this
> > over to a non-glib specific linked list of some sort?  (I'm sure it won't
> > cause any trouble, but glib isn't particularly thread-safe -- unless we
> > want to surround every glib function call w/ locks -- which doesn't make
> > sense.)
>
> Donīt worry I donīt mind at all. About the GList issue I used because it is use
> in the Message struct, if we can change the GList type to another without
> having to change the Message type it wonnīt be no problem. Actually GList is
> only
> gpointer *data;
> GList *next;
> GList *previous;
>
> Iīm sure it can be change to
> void *data;
> Whatever *next;
> Whatever *previous;
>
> The only problem may be when going through the Mailbox or Message struct.

Well, we don't want to abandon the GList... for instance, moving Mailbox.message_list
to some other linklist struct would be a pain. But we can easily write our own linked-list
functions... the format of the structure's not about to change :-)

> > On to the possible bug, I found that when I tried to send messages w/ SMTP
> > (both before and after my changes, and both with and without
> > multi-threaded I/O) I got this error on stderr/stdout:
> >
> > 555 syntax error (#5.5.4)
> >
> > It could be something on my end, but I can send OK from windows w/ the
> > same settings.
>
> Itīs not a bug itīs a feature :-)
> Well seriously, there is nothing in RFC about code 555 so it was implemented by
> your server (how nice) since "syntax error" doesnīt really explain itself I
> went througt the code and change some lines, but if they solve the problem is
> that you have a really picky server :-)
> Anyhow I added a line to send to stderr a message whenever and error comes back
> to tell you what you sended. Please try it again and tell me the stderr output.
> It may be also useful I you can tell me what server you are conecting to
> (sendmail, qmail, ...)

That's cool. I'd assume there's some SMTP command Balsa's formatting incorrectly.

Boy, is this fun... this is a whole lot better than two months ago. You guys rock.
Once I do this setter-upper I'll try to work on real stuff (tackle the bugs I
think)...

Peter Williams peter@newton.cx