Re: crash / sending mail / text widgets

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Mike Palczewski wrote:

> I don't think we should worry about word wrap on outgoing mail yet.  I
> think incoming is much more important.

Well, and incoming mail is probably much easier to solve.  Of course,
frustration with various limitations is a personal thing and for some
reason the composition dialog's been getting under my skin for the last
week.:)

> > The three we can use are GtkText (currently in use) GtkExText (which we've
> > talked about w/ the author :) ) , and GtkEditor.  Currently, GtkText is
> > being replaced and I caught Owen on IRC -- he explicitly asked me not to
> > try to extend it to support "normal" text-editor-style cursor movements.
>
> Who's this owen guy and why wouldn't he want us to use extend the gtktext
> widget just for balsa? How is that any diffrent than writing a widget based
> on gtkEdit. Any way it looks like non of these widgets work the way we would
> want them to.  Writing a widget seams like the only solution. waiting for
> another for a widget to do what we need it to do would also work.

Well, extend as in extend the original widget.  He wrote the bulk of the
code and is apparently responsible, on the GTK side for whatever will
replace it so he has some influence as far as that goes.  Unfortunately, I
can't just trap 'key-press-event' and re-define behaviors for UP DOWN,
etc., because the basic information about word wrap and displayable
characters per line is stored in a private struct.

So, writing a new widget or waiting for something better to come along may
be the best we can do.

> personally I like vim. seams like an easy way out.  we all have our favorite
> editing enviroment.  are there any bonobo embedable editors?  I'm not sure
> how hard it would be to bonobize (is that a word) balsa.

Abiword will be, but that'll be awhile.

> > (possibly in a ZvtTerm Widget), make the text widget not sensitive, then
> > re-load the text widget with the edited (tmp) file when the widget with
> > pico/emacs/etc. is destroyed.
>
> why bother with a ZvTerm Widget just have a checkbox that says run in
> terminal. and if its checked then run gnome-terminal. "gnome-term -e
> %s" if gnome-term isn't available (it should be)  xterm -e.  Wait for
> that to return and proceed.
>
> Mike

Well, if there's an easy way to do this without having to have the main
thread actually wait for it (and to know when it's done), sure.  I haven't
really looked into it, but my impression was that you could create a term
widget and just trap the "destroy" signal when it's done.  Just glancing
at the docs it doesn't look much more difficult than just launching
gnome-term.

David