RE: Commit mailbox, good idea?

> > Imagine a mailbox that has, say, 5000 1k-10k messages in it.
> >

> How many 'normal' users have such mailboxes?

Enough to make the point relevant (i.e. me ;->)

> > Now, imagine if, each time you hit delete, it has to write that 5Mb-50Mb
> > mailbox back to disk without the little 10k slice from the middle
somewhere.

> > On the other hand, with commit, you can delete as many as you like, and
then
> > they all get wiped at once.
>
> I'd say that auto-committing would be good on exit or on a configurable
> periodic basis, though.

Okay, when we delete a message (from the users point of view) could we not
simply flag it as deleted in the file (or add another file that references
deleted messages) and move it to the trashcan folder (GUI) then allow a
delete/commit option on the trashcan folder? This seems a little more
natural to use.

> > How 'bout a option on how to do this, delete when deleted or delete
> > on commit, with the above ideas used as well. And of course a good
> > kbd shortcut to commit (like elm's $).

> My rationale is, that most users probably don't have such mailboxes and
> are probably baffled if they need to separately delete the messages. I
know
> my wife would be baffled by something like that ;)

I wouldn't blame her for being baffled !

--
Ramin Miraftabi			Assistant, Department of Computer Science
ramin@cs.joensuu.fi				    University of Joensuu

--
	FAQ: Frequently-Asked Questions at http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq