Re: Commit mailbox, good idea?

> Imagine a mailbox that has, say, 5000 1k-10k messages in it.

How many 'normal' users have such mailboxes?

> Now, imagine if, each time you hit delete, it has to write that 5Mb-50Mb
> mailbox back to disk without the little 10k slice from the middle somewhere.
>
> On the other hand, with commit, you can delete as many as you like, and then
> they all get wiped at once.
>
> I'd say that auto-committing would be good on exit or on a configurable
> periodic basis, though.

How 'bout a option on how to do this, delete when deleted or delete
on commit, with the above ideas used as well. And of course a good
kbd shortcut to commit (like elm's $).

My rationale is, that most users probably don't have such mailboxes and
are probably baffled if they need to separately delete the messages. I know
my wife would be baffled by something like that ;)

ramin

--
Ramin Miraftabi			Assistant, Department of Computer Science
ramin@cs.joensuu.fi				    University of Joensuu