Re: GNOME Asia: are there grants for presenters?

Hello Ekaterina,

On 2016-02-01 14:43, Ekaterina Gerasimova wrote:
On 30 January 2016 at 13:31, Jehan - GIMP <jehan girinstud io> wrote:
Hi,

I already sent this message through the web form a few days ago, but never got the confirmation email. So I assume it never reached you. If in fact it
did, please feel free ignore the duplicate email. :-)

My name is Jehan, one of GIMP core developers. I'd be interested to come with Aryeom Han, another GIMP contributor (some icon and website design),
but especially the director of the Open Movie "ZeMarmot"
(http://film.zemarmot.net). We would be coming from France.
We could speak about:

- GIMP, of course, especially the upcoming 2.10 version.

- My work on encoding detection, very interesting for internationalization of software (hence GNOME in Asia) as the maintainer of the uchardet library, that is being included in several software, like gtksourceview, which means
it should be available soon in gedit, etc. For gtksourceview WIP, cf.
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtksourceview/log/?h=wip/uchardet-2

- Of course about ZeMarmot. This is not really a software topic, but I think Libre Art is an important topic. Moreover we are making a full 2D animation movie using the GNOME desktop, with various Free Software. That's cool by
itself, no? :-)

Why I am interested into the Asia side of the Free Software community is because I have lived 2 years in Japan and 1 year in South Korea. Aryeom
herself is Korean (born and lived there most of her life). We are Free
Software people and want these to be better known in Asia.

So this is why we are asking if there are any grants to fund our travel because we don't have much personal funds and no company to back us up.
Thank you very much.

There should be a be travel sponsorship available through the Travel
Committee (you can send in your request now and it will be processed
when we know what budget is available): http://wiki.gnome.org/Travel

Thanks for the answer. I just sent an email with the form, following described process. Do you have any idea when you will know of the budget (hence we will know if we will be funded, i.e. will be able to go there)?

You may also want to contact someone at GIMP in case there are travel
subsidies available through the organisation. I couldn't find any more
information online, but you should talk to Michael Schumacher
(shumalm) about that.

I will ask, but I will hold a little to know of GNOME answer first. GIMP is already funding our travel every year for the Libre Graphics Meeting, so we are trying not being too much of a burden.
Thanks for the quick answer!
---
http://girinstud.io

Jehan

Jehan

P.S.: a non-exhaustive list of my contributions on various Free Software:
https://www.openhub.net/accounts/Jehan/positions

--
http://girinstud.io
http://film.zemarmot.net