Indian VISA

Hello,

It looks likely that I will attend the GNOME.asia summit this year. I need to get a visa rather quickly.

I called them because the process of getting a visa is extremely confusing. I'm not entirely sure what category of visa I should apply for and neither are they. The guy I talked to on the phone seemed to think that it would depend on the following things:

 - if the conference had clearance from the ministry of home affairs
 - clearance from the state government
 - clearance from the ministry of external affairs

and also if the organiser of the conference were a registered non-profit group in India.

I was planning to apply for the tourist visa, but he seemed to think that either a business or conference visa would be necessary.

Can someone please clarify for me which visa will get me into India for the purpose of attending this event?

Also: if I need a conference or business visa, I will need an invitation letter from the organisers. Here's my info:

Passport #: JQ403032 [1]
Affiliation: self employed
Letter addressed to:

VFS Canada
939 Eglinton Ave East, Unit 102
Toronto, ON  M4G 4E8

(apparently they outsourced their visa processing to a private company)

I'll be staying at the hotel that the conference has booked.

I'm arriving on the 26th and leaving on the 5th.

Thank you

[1] I'm having my passport reissued since India requires it to be valid for 7 months. This number will probably change.