GNOME.Asia IRC - Feb 1, 2011 Meeting notes

Dear all,

Please find below the captioned meeting notes for our action:

Attending

  1. Pockey
  2. Yippi
  3. Fred
  4. Sakana (Max)
  5. Emily
  6. Bharath
  7. Lakhil

Meeting notes and action items

  1. We discussed about call for sponsors:
    • Everybody agreed it's ok as per yippi's advice to give +1 for sponsorship level to long term supporters (that sponsored GNOME.Asia 2 times or above)
    • If we get two platinum sponsors, we will consider to create new level (title)
    • For Nokia, Srini is contacting Nokia India for sponsor,
    • For google, fred will contact the US open source office then
    • HP sponsored FOSS.in, but we don't have local contacts, so Bharath / Fred will contact stormy to help
    • For Mozilla, Bharath / Fred will contact Stormy to help
    • For other sponsors' contacts, we can check http://live.gnome.org/AdvisoryBoard

  2. We discussed about the new sponsorship level for smaller companies
    • Everybody is okay with the new sponsorship level from email
    • AI: fred to update the call for sponsor document, and then bharath / akhil to send to smaller companies
    • Brian's comments:
      • the new sponsorship package really tries to make it easier for more people to get involved and donate.
      • we could think a bit more about what values and services we can provide to distros
      • we could target companies interested in GNOME 3 and to try negotiating with them to get sponsorship, to get a seat at the table, since the hackfest is invitation only
      • we need to consider how to market the hackfest to adboard members to make it attractive to them.
      • there is an adboard meeting soon and discussing promoting GNOME.Asia and launch parties is on the agenda
    1. We talked about having someone to present to the Adboard to get some supports for our hackfest and conference:
      • AI: Emily to send an email to invite Fred to join the upcoming adboard meeting to present our hackfest
      • AI: Fred to work on a presentation / slides of the updates / attractions of Hackfest / GNOME.Asia Summit 2011 and gnome 3.0 launch party, send draft to the committee to review and present in the upcoming adboard meeting at 12am (local BJ Time) on 9th Feb (local time)
      • Brian suggested that we could push the collaboration thing, with the survey Fred did, and use that as a marketing vehicle for trying to encourage them to get involved in different ways (sending engineers, providing funds, etc)
    2. Bharath gave some suggestions from Novell:
      • They are looking at having a SUSE Studio Kiosk since Vincent wanted to get one at GUADEC but it got stuck, but they also wanted rope in students for NCLP (Novell Linux Certification Program)
      • This is more like (Ok cool we'll sponsor the event, the takeaway for us would be a SUSE Studio KIOSK + enroll students into the certification program that Novell will handle)
      • for GNOME.Asia it is hugely beneficial, 1) Sponsorship 2) Marketing that they did student training 3) College would be very happy since they like companies getting more associated
    3. Sakana suggested to make a video during the conference to record a lot of "Hello I am a GNOME user from xxx" to advertise GNOME
  3. Due to time constraint, we move the following agenda items to mailing list to discuss:
    1. Plan for our students GNOME training [1] (who can be our potential trainers?)
    2. Plan for our Technical helpdesk (who can be the potential helpers?)
    3. Discuss on topics that we want to have for the conference (make a list and invite hackers / speakers?) [2]
    4. Review our checklist and make sure we are on schedule - http://live.gnome.org/GnomeAsia/2011Summit/CheckListhey
      1. [1] e.g. how to contribute to GNOME and show students how to write a simple app. Fred also suggested to have talk about compilation lesson for gnome 3.0, or GTK 3 hacking.
      2. [2] with reference to Vincent Untz email

New action items:
1. fred / bharath / lakhil to follow up with international sponsors and local sponsors

2. fred to update the call for sponsor document to add 1 more sponsor level, and then bharath / akhil to send to smaller companies

3. Emily to send an email to invite Fred to join the upcoming adboard meeting to present our hackfest

4. Fred to work on a presentation / slides of the updates / attractions of Hackfest / GNOME.Asia Summit 2011 and gnome 3.0 launch party, send draft to the committee to review and present in the upcoming adboard meeting at 12am (local BJ Time) on 9th Feb (local time)

5. Everybody to think of the remaining topics and review the checklist / previous action items, and send updates by email to the mailing list

Outstanding action items:

1. abharath, lakhil to get list of potential companies from Parag and follow up on getting them to sponsor us (share the list with the committee)

2. Will to work on the website: * change the aliases and make 2011.gnome.asia point to www.gnome.asia (this way we don't need to redo all the work) - DONE * let's temporary make www.gnome.asia redirect to 2011.gnome.asia - DONE * use test.gnome.asia to work on the new generic site (and only launch it when it's ready) * registration system testing before live

3. Bharath to put hotel information in the hackfest page as soon as possible

4. Start writing faq for site

5. abharath to find details for tax-free bank account (it is suggested to partner with another local non-profit organization to help to get the funding to avoid tax)

6. abharath to reply on Pockey's email about marketing materials standard size (and then Pockey to ask Andreas help on design)

7. lakhil to check the bandwidth available at the venue

8. Will / Max to work on the live streaming video for the conference

9. Max to send us email to update the web conference tool (to test the web conference tool (justin.tv) with BJ GNOME User Group as next step, and if the quality is good, Max to write a how-to in a wiki page so different launch parties organizers can connect their events together)

Completed action items:
1. Fred / Bharath / Lakhil to make a list of sponsors and then assign who will be the contact person(s) respectively * Status: working in progress, list will be shared at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeAsia/2011Summit/PotentialSponsors

2. abharath to enquire on GNOME User Group status from his colleague(s) and invite them to support our event