Re: Tuesday 14th IRC meeting notes

Dear all,

I added more questions and now there are 21 questions in total for the survey.

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeAsia/survey2011

Pockey

On 09/15/2010 08:11 AM, Brian Cameron wrote:

I made some minor improvements to the wording at the wiki pages.

Brian

On 09/14/10 12:03 PM, Frederic Muller wrote:
Dear all,

Please find the minutes of the meeting:

1. Pockey updated the group on her research and work related the the
2011 conference:
  - Air ticket costs from Europe & USA to Asia are available at
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeAsia/FlightCost
  - AsiaGroup created on wiki for the GNOME Committee members
  - GNOME.Asia Summit 2011 survey page located at:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeAsia/survey2011

2. In order to get everybody up to speed and why we were having this
urge to turn GNOME.Asia into a GNOME 3 hackfest on GNOME 3 release day
we went into the reasoning & objectives (or in other words, the problem
we were trying to solve):
  - 2 past years of Gnome.asia with poor control over the finance and
losing money so we would like to aim at something similar as our first
year where we would end up being cash positive
  - Since next year is the GNOME 3.0 release, it's a good opportunity to
get the buzz our way. Organizing a hackfest on the release day/week
could help us to get some GNOME contributors together in Asia set up in
a similar manner as a "command center", companies might be willing to
sponsor travels, the conference and more if the cost is not over the roof.
  - It would be a great opportunity to take on the successes from
Beijing and Taipei were we discovered "hidden" GNOME contributors to
build a bigger Asian community

3. The committee then discussed about the survey format:
3.1 Hackfest schedule:
Intro: "An event that is focused on making GNOME 3 successful"
use quotes from the 1-on-1 discussion (see below) about why others
should want to come.
5 hackdays closed to the public+ 1-2 days conference open to the public

3.2 Audience:
1. People actually doing the release.  The marketing and release team
will have work to do at this time.
2. Promoting the release, raising attention to it.  Having people talk
about it, educate people about it, etc.
3. Celebrating the release
4. Dealing with technical issues on the way.  Responding to users who
need help, have questions

or in other words:
1. GNOME release team
2. GNOME docs team
3. GNOME marketing team
4. Others who will be involved with the actual mechanics of doing the launch
5. companies - potential sponsors
6. GNOME contributors living in Asia

3.3 Location:
1. Currently looking at India, Hong Kong, Indonesia
2. Airfare to Indonesia about 20% higher than the other 2 countries.
3. Flight extra cost to Indonesia could be compensated by cheaper resort
4. Utian mentioned an Indonesian resort in bogor:
http://www.mitrakonservasi.co.id/ where the local ISP can sponsor the
Internet connection.
. Max capacity: 120
. Final conference days in Bogor city hall to accommodate for a larger
audience
5. It is noted that GNOME developers can share rooms during hackfests.
6. Wers offered to talk with his contacts to find more resorts in
Indonesia, namely Jakarta, Bogor and Depok area.
7. Resort page created on the wiki at
http://live.gnome.org/action/edit/GnomeAsia/ResortVenue

3.4 Survey steps:
1. An initial 1 on 1 discussion should take place once the above topics
are filled with:
  - The leaders of the GNOME release and  marketing teams
  - A few other important people in the community such as people like
Owen Taylor, Vincent Untz, Jon McCann, Paul Cutler, etc.
2. An initial release of the question would then be sent to the 10
people we want the most
3. If we get good responses, adapt the survey to reflect any feedback we
received from the first round and widen it to the whole release and
marketing team, etc.

3.5 Survey questions, current suggestions:
1. Do you want to join the upcoming GNOME.Asia 2011? why?
1. Where do you want it to host? a list of countries / cities
1. If there is a one day tour offered to participants, will you join?
1. If yes, what kind of places you would like to go? multiple choice
1. Will you encourage any of your friends, co-workers or colleagues to
attend the event?

Survey page is here for improvements:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeAsia/survey2011

Action Items:
1. Utian to send his GNOME wiki account to Pockey to put in AsiaGroup
2. Ask BharathAcharya to check for resort packages and venues for a
capacity of e.g. 200 (in India)
3. Check what Hong Kong could offer (Pockey)