Re: COSCUP / GNOME.Asia Needing Funding

Dear Pockey,

Here I summarized the feedbacks of our team members, and try to organize our inputs below. Hope it can help both teams to exchange inputs and possible ways on funding/budgeting related topics :)

First, four clarifications before inputs:

0. We trust GASC's good will toward the co-event. It is ok if after a best effort GASC can't get additional funding. We'll survive.

1. The request for additional contribution is mostly due to imbalance, and less on overbooking. We sensed this issue 5 weeks ago when the raised fund was US$21.7K : US$1K and the projected total cost was US$30K [1], but we had hopes that GASC would eventually raise adequate fund. We were overwhelmed with talk over-submission, program, sponsors and registration overbooking to come back to this issue until July 10.

        [1] IRC meeting minutes 20100525

2. This is a request toward GASC, not the GNOME Foundation. We'd like to see GASC's effort toward splitting the shared cost in a ratio not too far away from the 61% : 39% time slot allocation, which fairly represents the shared cost. It doesn't matter to COSCUP Team whether GASC gets it from the GNOME Foundation or elsewhere.

3. We don't need to rush to get the fund before the event. We can use the COSCUP reserve to help the cash flow. It proves the necessity of sufficient reserve. We'll be fine if the fund can be sent to us in October.

Now onto the numbers. The exchange rate is assumed to be 32 TWD = 1 USD. All numbers are subject to minor adjustments when the shared cost is fully settled and exchange rate fixed.

A. The shared cost is about US$28K for 700 attendees and about US$32K for 1000 attendees.

B. COSCUP Team raised US$42K with its own cost of US$10K, including US$4.9K for travel expenses of quality speakers.

C. As it stands now, the contribution toward shared cost is US$32K + US$5K which is already sufficient.

We like Brian's idea of matching, and the following options are the matching we would like to see happening: based on total contributions instead of differentials.

Now comes 3 options for you to consider.

Opiton 1. If GASC contributes US$10K more, the ratio is not too far from 61% : 39%. We'll have surplus and each side can take some fund back after the event is over.

Option 2. Or, to make it simpler, GASC can contribute US$7.5K more to make it US$12.5K, and COSCUP Team contributes US$19.5K. The shared cost is fully covered 61% : 39% and there will be no surplus. Whatever amount COSCUP Team raised in addition to US$19.5K belongs to COSCUP Team.

Option 3. If that's still difficult, COSCUP Team can agree to fully absorb the extra cost of expanding to 1000 people. GASC can contribute US$5.9K more to make it US$10.9K as 39% of US$28K. COSCUP Team contributes US$17.1K, and the rest of what COSCUP Team raised belong to COSCUP Team.

Of course, there is always the option that GASC can't secure additional funding. We'll survive and accept it full heartedly knowing that GASC has done its best :)

Thanks,
Ernest

p.s. The "confrontational" tone Brian pointed out was due to repeated disrespect toward the COSCUP Team's knowledge of local environment that pingooo saw in the IRC meeting. pingooo had to be straight in the meeting, but we're putting it aside for now.

p.p.s. We don't want to look too deep into brand values. Interested parties can try to look for evidence of the brand values of GNOME.Asia/GNOME and COSCUP in Taiwan.