Re: Possible Candidate host for next summit 2010 - Taiwan?

Dear all,

Please find below the meeting keypoints after the meeting with the
organizing member of COSCUP. The meeting agenda is to gather more
information about each other event, both party expectation and see if
there is any synergy.

Basically there are a few FOSS events in Taiwan. COSCUP is one of them,
host in TaiPei and usually in August. They have about 30 core members to
help in different area of organizing the event.

Next step:
1. Pingooo talks to his other members
2. If members are interested, prepare and submit a proposal to us

Recap of the chat between Pockey, Fred and Pingooo (organizing member of
COSCUP) about Gnome.Asia 2010 at Pool Bar, Beijing on 2010/2/2
(prepared by Pingooo)

> The relationship between Gnome.Asia Summit 2010 and the conference
> also organized by the host to happen at the same time in the same or a
> nearby venue: Joint Conference.
>
> Expectations on Gnome.Asia Summit 2010 conference:
>
> - Goals: A conference mainly for developers in Asia to exchange
> information and ideas. Developer means existing Gnome developers or
> people that have potential to become Gnome developers.
> - Expected size of the conference: 200 developers + some
> non-developers (Gnome.Asia Summit 2009 had more than 300 attendees in
> total).
> - Constraints on the conference program: 2 to 5 tracks related to
> Gnome and 3 plenary keynotes = 2 ordinary length keynotes (45 min to 1
> hour) + 1 short keynote (10 min) (for GNOME Foundation and GNOME.Asia
> Committee)

 + 1 x keynote for top Sponsor(s) (if there is any - 45 mins)

> - There will be a one-day tour for speakers organized by the host.

Date of the event: usually GNOME.Asia Summit is hosted the end of the
year e.g. Oct, Nov or Dec, while COSCUP is hosted in the middle of
August last year, it is suggested to try to delay the time of COSCUP in
order to have more time for calling sponsor.

> The roster of Gnome.Asia Summit Committee:

- around 10 people :

Emily Chen (Sun Microsystems a.k.a. Oracle), Pockey Lam, Frederic
Muller, Will LaShell, Brian Cameron, Stormy Peters (Gnome Foundation),
plus a few others.

> The split of responsibilities between the Gnome.Asia Summit committee
> (GASC) and local host (127.0.0.1):    (TBD = to be determined)
>

> - Gnome.Asia Summit Program:
> -- Authoring Call for Speakers: GASC
> -- Announce and distribute Call for Speakers: GASC and 127.0.0.1
> -- Collection of talk submissions: GASC
> -- Selection of speakers: GASC
> -- Notification of speakers: TBD
>

> - Marketing: GASC and 127.0.0.1 will work together for marketing of
> the joint conference

(GASC mainly for international marketing, local marketing would be done
by 127.0.0.1)

- Web site: GASC for English version (with information provided by
127.0.0.1, like venue attraction / information, checking accommodation,
visa, etc), 127.0.0.1 for translation into local language

> - Sponsorship:
> -- GASC for international funding sources through members/sponsors of
> Gnome Foundation, 127.0.0.1 for local sources
> -- The quota of funding to raise will be split between GASC and
> 127.0.0.1, presumably 50-50. The exact fraction should be stated
> clearly in the proposal.
> -- Surplus of funding at the end of conference will be split between
> GASC and 127.0.0.1. Pockey suggested that it is split according to
> number of tracks. The exact fraction should be stated clearly in the
> proposal.
> -- Deficit of funding will be handled prior to the conference by
> cutting costs on snacks, beverages, food, or other items.
>

> - Attendee list management:
> -- Related tasks: registration web application, post-conference polls.
> -- GASC has an existing registration app.
> -- Largely TBD.
>

> - Accounting: 127.0.0.1.
>

> - Administration: 127.0.0.1.
>

> - Venue and event-day administration: 127.0.0.1.
>

> - Wifi/circuits: 127.0.0.1.
>

> - Public relations: GASC for international media, 127.0.0.1 for local.
>

> - Recording: 127.0.0.1.
>

> - Booth management:
> -- GASC has Call for Exhibitors (but mainly for local team i.e.
> 127.0.0.1)
> -- Largely TBD.

Cheers,
Pockey