Re: Updates about the GNOME.Asia2009 bits

Hi Sankarshan,

Nice to see those updates.

2009/2/24 Sankarshan (সঙ্কর্ষণ) <sankarshan randomink org>
It has been a while since there have been updates about it, here's
what has been happening:

Sayamindu has been helping me talk to the potential hosts (IIT-Madras
and IIT-Mumbai) about the event. We re-used parts of the content in
the brochure from last year to pitch at the places. However, at this
point, we are facing two different issues:

* examinations - being universities, both have their examination
schedules are clashing with the proposed dates. The downside of that
is that we would end up looking at a loss of volunteers and
stakeholders at the venues

What's the candidate date for GNOME.Asia Summit 2009 ?  How long is the examination period for students?
Form our experience, the majority of the volunteers are from students. Involve students is really helpful.

Besides the students, some local community can also join the volunteer's team. Like Bangalore Linux Users Group, GNOME Users Group or other local open source community. I guess they are willing to contribute to build the first GNOME event in India.

* scoping - of the event.
That's a hard question. You never know the exactly number unless you understand the local community very well. For the first Summit, we first expected 100 participants, then find out there are far more people are interested in coming. So finally we expected 300 participants. All the venue, party, and lunch are planned for 300 people. From the registration number on the website, there are 500+ people, so you won't know the exactly until the day Summit opened.

Maybe we can think about ask for registration fee for this Summit. Not too much, like 10$ or 20$ and students can get a special price. In this way,  it is better to control the participants' number and cover part of the Summit cost.