From: Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com>
Date: 2009/8/6
Subject: GNOME.Asia Summit Update
To: "board >> GNOME Foundation Board" <board-list gnome org>, chen Emily <emilychen522 gmail com>

Board:

Here is an update on the IRC meeting we had today to discuss plans for
GNOME.Asia in Vietnam.  Attached please find the minutes of the
meeting and a document with the Vietnam proposal.

cc:ing Emily - actually I reworked the notes quite a bit since the
last time I sent them to you, and they now include your action items.
So these are better meeting minutes, if they are useful to you.

Brian

=================================
Vietnam GNOME.Asia Summit Meeting
August 5, 2009
=================================

Atendees
--------

Brian Cameron
Emily Chen
Frederic Muller
Mario Behling
Pockey Lam
Stormy Peters
Will LaShell

Agenda
------

* What is the status?
* What needs to be done?
* Who is/needs/should be involved?
* What is the date, what is the budget, how to proceed?
* Sponsors?

Discussion
----------

Venue

- The organizers could get into 3 venues at no charge in return for making
 them a sponsor.  All venues in Ho-Chi-Minh-City.  Venues are:
 - University of Technologies
 - RMIT Saigon
 - Quang Trung Software City

- All venues have been tested.  RMIT had the Barcamp, for example.  There is a
 desire to hold a Barcamp at the same time as the GNOME.Asia Summit.

- The quality of wireless support should be a factor in picking a venue.

- Perhaps should aim for a 3 day event this year.
 - Current dates proposed are: November 20-22, Friday to Sunday.

- Some people from Vietnam-based companies will only come on weekdays, so
 Friday will be the day for them to attend.

- Getting the Wiki/website organized for the next summit will be a big job
 that needs to be started soon.  Should contain information about the venue,
 proposed dates, visa requirements, local accommodations, etc.  Need to work
 with Will Lashell for the Wiki.

- Will likely do the website and documents in both Vietnamese and English.

- Organizers:
 - The local team (including MarioB)
 - webteam: Will
 - Global team: emily, pocky, fred, stormy, yippi, vincnd

- Objectives:
 - promote GNOME/Open Source

- Tagline
 - To be decided according to sponsors

- Location and Date
 - November 20-22

- Target audience
 - Students, local developers, growing community in Asia.  Some business focus
   would also be good.

- Can have similar sponsorship packages as last year.

- Need to work on 2009 budget.  MarioG will do this and send it to the
 committee.  They estimate a $5,000 per day without travel costs.  Travel
 costs are a bit cheaper than in China.

- Need to figure out hotels for the conference.  Need to recommend some
 reasonable and affordable 3-4 star hotels that have internet availability.

Actions
-------

1. (Emily) Add local members into our mail list : kevin miller saigonlinux com,
  anthony saigonlinux com and dhppat gmail com (Anyone I missed ? )
2. (Mario) Pictures, capacity, layout, equipments information about the
  candidate venues
3. (Will, Mario, Emily, Local team) Website development : announcement, logo,
  venue info, general content, visa information, both English and Vietnamese
4. (Emily, Pockey and Mario) Emily send out call-for-participants template to
  Mario and then we work on the new call-for-participants
5. (Mario) Invite speaker from Academy of Science in Vietnam
6. (Mario, Will) Work on sponsorship package
7. (All ) Work out a List of potential sponsors
8. (Mario) Budget estimation and send to team