Speakers list & Schedule

Hi all,

This is our speakers list. I will send out email to those speakers who haven't registered and submitted proposal by the end of today. We have about 25 + talks. (Intel ,Motorola and other parter will submit more talks in next week. We might reserve a more room for talks.)
There are lots of potential to work on the speakers list.

BTW, check the draft of the schedule in attachment.

Hi Will,

I have tried to assign one topic to time slot but failed . I input the length = 60 but when will bring you to a error page when visit:http://www.gnome.asia/en/schedule/

I need your help on this.

-Emily

Number
Submitted  on website
Speaker
email
Topic
Bio
1
Andy Fitzsimon
andrew fitzsimon com au
Creating and Translating Artwork with GNOME

This talk is a designers walk-through of Inkscape and gimp but with a
more technical aspect of using xml and pango to automate translation of
artwork and teaches the audience how to design with that process in mind
while using the GNOME platform.

takeaway knowledge of how your project can collaborate across languages
with stunning professional graphic design in open formats.
Andy is an Australian designer living in Hong Kong specializing in
graphic internationalization. He has been part of multimedia industry
for 10 years and currently is a developer for open source creative
projects like Inkscape and the open clipart library.

Andy is coming to GNOME.ASIA to share his passion for the GNOME
technologies that enable creativity without borders.
2
Jeff Cai
Jeff Cai Sun COM
GNOME Power Manager and Solaris Power Management
Abstract:

Until now, Solaris doesn't have a convenient desktop application which
enables users to manage and monitor power consumption and battery
status. Especially for laptop users, they cannot manage their power
consumption easily similar to what's been done in Windows and Linux.
Though battery status applet has been put into Nevada, they still can't
control what the system should do if the battery power is critically low
or what should be done if they close the lid. In Solaris 10, we provide
dtpower to help users to configure some power parameters. However,
nowadays the features it provides are no longer sufficient. We often
hear users complaining that Solaris consumes much more battery power
than other OS'es, and it can't suspend/hibernate. To offer an acceptable
desktop for Solaris users, we must solve this problem.

In this talk, the presenter will introduce the power management solution
in Solaris from desktop perspective. First, background information about
power management and Solaris Power Management framework will be
described. Then concepts related to power management will be introduced.
Lastly he introduces what GNOME Power Manager is, its architecture and
how it is ported to Solaris from Linux.
Speaker: Jeff Cai
Bio:Jeff Cai graduated from Tsinghua University with a master degree in
1998 and joined Java Desktop department in Sun Microsystems in 2005. He
has 10 years of experience in software development. As a software
engineer in Sun, he is the technical lead of Evolution and GNOME Power
Manager. He contributed often to open source projects like GNOME and
OpenSolaris.
3
Kimmo Hamalainen kimmo hamalainen nokia com
Summary of the proposed talk "Out-of-memory management in a mobile GNOME
device"

Compared to typical Linux desktop PCs, mobile devices have limited
amount of RAM and often don't have the possibility to use paging (aka.
swapping) on to a mass storage to extend amount of virtual memory. There
is also a serious problem of the whole system slowing down when the RAM
is about to run out --- this can lead to very bad usability of the
device. On the other hand, GNOME and other open source has mostly been
designed for desktop PCs and uses lot of memory. The system must have a
mechanism for handling the out-of-memory (or low-RAM) situation.
Basically this means, among other things, that the most important system
processes are kept alive at the expense of less important processes.

The GNOME platform heavily uses the Glib library that does not allow
graceful handling of out-of-memory situations. In the worst case, this
is causing unpredictable crashes everywhere in the system in the case
RAM runs out. The graphical user interface (UI) in applications is
usually implemented using the GTK+ UI toolkit which is based on the Glib
library, as well.

In the Nokia 770 (N800 and N810), we designed a solution which involves
the Linux kernel, D-Bus signals, and the application framework. When the
kernel signals that the amount of memory is getting low, we can shut
down applications that are running in the background to free some memory
and possibly deny starting of new applications, or ask the user to
choose an application to close. Some of this "background killing" of
applications can be nearly invisible to the user because of a mechanism
called "state saving": before closing, the application would save its UI
state into a mass storage, allowing loading of the state and re-creating
of its UI later when the user chooses it as the foreground application.

If the memory gets even more scarce, we have the option to disable some
features in the Web browser to save memory. We had prioritised the
system processes for the kernel's out-of-memory killer for the case that
the memory (RAM) really runs out: the kernel would kill less important
processes first and hopefully leave the system in a state where it is
still usable. We also had the possibility to create a paging file onto
the memory card: the kernel would write infrequently-used memory pages
to the file on the memory card to free up RAM for more important memory
pages.

I'm also planning to briefly talk about the memory management and paging
in the Linux kernel, so that also people that are not familiar about the
basic concepts could follow the talk.
About me
--------

My name is Kimmo Hämäläinen and I'm from Finland. I've been working with
the Maemo software (previously known as Open Source Software Operations,
or OSSO) in Nokia for five years, i.e. since the beginning of Nokia
internet tablets. In addition to other things, I was involved in
designing and implementing the out-of-memory management in the
application framework for the Nokia 770, N800, and N810. Currently I'm
working as an architect for the user interface framework in the next
Maemo-based Nokia product.
4
Martin bahr
mbaehr email archlab tuwien ac at
gnome developer kit
abstract
in this presentation or workshop i'd like to demonstrate how the gnome
developer kit helps you test and develop, translated or document on the
bleeding edge of gnome development without needing to rebuild gnome from
source yourself all the time.

with practical examples you will learn how to use the gnome developer kit to
keep gnome up to date, manage your own branch of selected packages or build
and publish your own applications on top of gnome.
i am a programmer, sysadmin and linux user since 15 years. i am using
foresight linux which is the basis for the gnome developer kit as my main
work environment since last year. both as a developer and sysadmin i
appreciate how conary, the package managment system which drives foresight
and the gnome developer kit, helps me to keep my system uptodate as well as
test and rollback upgrades.

since may this year i live in beijing working as a software developer for
exoweb.
5
Muhammad Takdir

Hansen Tanjung
muhammad takdir gmail com
We would like to present BlankOn Minimalis, a variant of BlankOn,
which is derived from Ubuntu. BlankOn Minimalis uses GNOME as desktop
environment while reduce numbers of packages "service and default
application running" to suit old or low-end PC
hardware that many people still use in Indonesia. We will explain our
strategy and implementation to provide a lightweight but full-featured
desktop using GNOME.
My name Muhammad Takdir, my nickname is takdir. I live in Sinjai Sulawesi Selatan - Indonesia. It's about 250km far from Makassar (Asia/Makassar). Start using Ubuntu since 6.06 LTS. And now using 8.04.
At the moment, I'm working in local government of Sinjai and has promoted the use of Free and Open Source Software in government institution and elementary schools in Sinjai Regency.
6
Peng Wu
pwu novell com
novel-pinyin —— a HMM-based Simplified Chinese Pinyin Input Method for scim.

novel-pinyin aims to provide a full-fledged sentence-based pinyin input method. novel-pinyin project begins when I am a graduate student, inspired by the Markov algorithm, try to use Markov model to speed up the pinyin input. After a year of research, the surprising high correct rate come to reality, then another year is spent to turn it into a real product. In this presentation, the following sections about novel-pinyin will be included:
1. Background Information Introduction, such as the original ideas of novel-pinyin and history.
2. Mathematical Model of The Input Method Brief Description, such as HMM and Viterbi.
3. Novel-Pinyin Design in Interfaces and Data Structure.
4. The Future Roadmap of novel-pinyin.
Self-Intro
Master Degree, graduated from Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications. Currently focus on gnome desktop and input method (Natural Language Processing) in Novell. Work on novel-pinyin from 2006 to 2008, a HMM-based Simplified Chinese Pinyin Input Method for scim. During master degree, be a team member of simulation project, working on RTI( a Distributed Computing Environment).

I am the author of novel-pinyin.
7
Prach Pongpanich
prachpub gmail com
GNOME desktop in thai linux distro ( LinuxTLE  ).

I 'm developer LinuxTLE.
8
Richard Sun
x2rich gmail com
Currently, user data contains different contexts. How to search specific context in desktop smartly and accuracy? Tracker can be the solution.
It is a tool designed to extract information and metadata about your personal data so that it can be searched easily and quickly.

In my presentation, I will share technical background of tracker with its architecture view, what's the point from user/application perspective and development future. My presentation will also cover content about how to manage metadata in desktop on top of tracker.
Bio needed
9
Chi Wang
chris wang sun com
In this talk, we are going to introduce some basic knowledge of Windows Manager such as What is a WM, What the job of WM, and How it works etc.
We are also going to talk about the current status and the future development perspective of the Windows Manager using on Gnome. Finally, we are going to look into two popular Windows Managers: Metacity and Compiz
Bio needed
10
Harry Fu
Harry fu sun com
Introduction about the practice of using dogtail to do i18n testing.
Bio needed
11
Yong Sun

Yong sun sun com
1. Input Method Frameworks
* Overview
> A General Input Method Framework
> IIIMF and SCIM introduction
* imbus
* ibus
2. Intelligent Pinyin Input Methods
* Overview
> Basic introduction of Statistical Language Model
* SunPinyin
* Novel Pinyin
* James Su , lead of SCIM (www.scim-im.org) community.
* Peng Huang , author of scim-python (code.google.com/p/scim-python) and ibus (code.google.com/p/ibus).
* Peng Wu , author of Novel Pinyin (http://sourceforge.net/projects/novel-pinyin).
* Yong Sun , maintainer of SunPinyin (www.opensolaris.org/os/project/input-method).
12
James Su

Software Engineer, Google, author of Smart Common Input Method and Google Gadgets for Linux projects.

I'm a long time open source developer (since 1997), focusing on linux desktop applications. Before joining Google, I worked for Novell on SUSE Linux product. I'm one of core members of Smart Common Input Method and Google Gadgets for Linux projects.
13
Peng Huang

14
Peng Wu

15
Brian Cameron
Brian Cameron sun com Abstract:
Free Software is changing the world, giving people more control
and freedom with their software and data. Free software allows
people around the world greater access to technology at an
affordable cost.
Free software provides opportunities for people to develop real
world experience and work on applications that are widely used
across professional organizations, government institutions,
educational facilities, and so on. Volunteering and getting
involved with a free software project not only builds practical
experience, but helps to foster open and free technology that
benefits people.
Supporting this software is a rich community of users, developers,
graphic and usability designers, QA testers, and businesses. There
are a great many opportunities to expand this community in Asia.
In this talk, the speaker will discuss how open source communities
work, based on his experiences with the GNOME community. He will
provide direction on how to get involved, regardless of your level
of experience, and talk about how businesses can evolve from free
software communities.
Bio:
Brian Cameron graduated from Loyola University in Chicago with a
masters degree in computer science, joined Sun Microsystems in
1999, and has been working on the GNOME desktop for Sun
Microsystems since 2001. He is currently a director of the GNOME
Foundation, is co-maintainer of the GNOME GDM module, Sun's
technical lead for desktop multimedia, involved with Sun's ARC
(Architecture Review Council), and generally helps to make GNOME
work well on the Solaris platform.
16
Pockey Lam
Open Source is about community, active participation, and acknowledgment of contributions. And there is a distinct lack of or acknowledgment of female participation. As a core member of Techgirls Group in Beijing Linux User Group, I am hosting a BOF to share experiences and related projects with more comrades.
Needed
17
Li Yuan
li yuan sun com
An introduction of accessibility on GNOME. Includes what is accessibility, the architecture of accessibility, code example, automation testing and the future of accessibility.
Needed
18
Funda Wang
For a long time, gnome i18n team have been providing various translation and localization efforts for gnome and other related projects. But the approaches and the routine on how the team is working is not very clear for most of newcomers.
The talk mainly covers:
* GTP's role in the overall infrastructure of GNOME project
* infrastructure of GTP (administrator, team leader, translator, tester)
* Routine on joining GTP
* RTFM
* contact team leader
* sending test translation efforts for acknowledge
* ask for svn account
* QA
Needed
19
Zheng Hu
huzheng001 gmail com
Talk about stardict

20
Mohammad Anwari
Session 1: i18n: What's missing in GNOME?
This is a BOF discussion to identify what is missing in GNOME regarding internationalisation support.
The goal of this BOF is a list of features or aspects needed by GNOME to fully support broad cultural differences, mainly in Asian countries. This list then can be pushed to GNOME, even better if we get Asian volunteers to create some kind of prototypes.
Session 2: BlankOn: A Story of Developing Free Software in Indonesia
In this event, I'll be sharing my experience my free time activity of developing BlankOn, an Ubuntu derivative distribution targeted to Indonesian people. I'll cover the challenges, advantages, ups and downs of the development. Mostly I'll talk about the people and infrastructure in a development country who are learning to develop free software.

21
Ole Tange

Abstract
OpenMoko is the GNU/Linux distribution that runs on the free phone Neo
Freerunner from FIC. It is completely Free Software. Being able to
completely control a cell phone gives new posibillities that people
only dreamed of. Have you ever had a mobile phone where you have been
annoyed by some of the functionality and thought: "If only I had the
source code I could have fixed this annoying thing"? Then you are not
alone. The phone Neo Freerunner from FIC runs a completely free
operating system. Because it is free it is possible try out completely
new ideas - even ideas that the phone companies make no money from.
The presentation will be about the possibilities and how you can take
part in this revolution.
About the speaker
Ole Tange has worked as Hostmaster for .dk, as a security consultant,
as network admin, as site reliablility engineer, and is now working as
developer. He has worked with UNIX since 1991, GNU/Linux since 1992,
and in 1996 he deleted his Microsoft Windows partition. He has done
lots of presentations on security, Free Software, and IT political
issues (such as software patents) - both for the general public and to
polticians. He is best know as the person behind Parallel, the
patented webshop and wordprocessor and Remindmail He sees a completely
Free phone as the most disrupting that has happened since the
introduction of GNU/Linux.
22
Y Huaming Wang
current maemo choose Gstreamer as multimedia framework. an presentation will give to explain what is gstreamer and why it has been choosen in maemo and how it has been utilized to handle multimedia stuff in Nokia N810.
an discussion will be extended after presentation for collect user expections and requirments for multimedia performance in maemo or any other similar topic.

23
Stormy Peter

24
Fred Muller