Re: Artwork Versioning System

Bruno Santos píše v Út 07. 08. 2007 v 14:58 +0100:
> Hey,
Hi Bruno

> I've been thinking in a efficient way to implement a versioning
> system. Something that allows to have an hierarchical representation
> of the several different versions especially from themes.
>
> I've already found a good solution to that problem. A Preorder Tree
> [1] should handle that quite well. It's easy efficient to get the
> necessary information( 1 query).
>
> My actual problem is more in the interface design. I'm wondering of
> how can we choose the parent version of the artwork we are about to
> submit without having a never ending list of our already submitted
> works to choose from?
Hm, some implementations I can remember now:
- The list is one of possibilities, like in AGO2.
- A form field like this one below, also in AGO2:
Enter parent ID: __________
- Make it automatic, means you can update the artwork only from it's
page, updates have separated submit form.
- Create more tree-based attribute selections, something like drop-down
selections of "Type" > "Start letter" > "Theme names list" exploiting
ECMA-262 scripting :) (* Note about accessability)
- Update wizard (c) Microsoft :P

Hm, any other idea? The original implementation in AGO2 is not
comfortable much, but I like it.

> Oh, by the way, this versioning system allows to create branches from
> the previous works, instead of always following a linear evolution.
Wow, sounds good, what about to have a feture allowing you to easily
branch any art you see (haha, wondering about licence locks for some
CC-ed artworks :D)

Have you been thinking of ways of an artwork submiting and user
interface? Something like a upload form with <make free & public> button
at the bottom or interactive with for example editing toolbox with
functions you can do with an artwork leading to several specialized
editing forms.
Imagine a situation when your theme has been tested but you need to
correct a description. The way of submitting a fixed package with
another testing is obviously bad :).

Anyway, we should discuss how complicated UI and feature tools for users
do we want.

> Let me know what you think!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruno Santos
>

> PS: Drom, Sound Themes can go under the normal Theme Category, can't
> they?
>
> [1] http://www.sitepoint.com/print/hierarchical-data-database

S pozdravem
Lukas Lommer

< drom dwec org || drom kdyne net || dwec email cz >

ICQ: 178131737
MSN: drom_mesindzr hotmail com
Y!M: drom_terrien
AOL: drom terrien
G-G: 5662331
Jabber: drom jabber org | drom amessage info

IRC: Dr0m irc i cz | Drom irc gnome org| Drom irc freenode net

Otisk: 6E30 0AED EB18 0E34 D4A8 1CE5 3EEE E710 3353 7B19

GnuPG: http://kdyne.net/general/download/certifikaty/gpg-public_key-Lucas_Lommer.asc

| Odchozi zprava neobsahuje viry, potoze nepouzivam nespolehlive   |
| softwarove vybaveni spolecnosti Microsoft (Windows, Internet     |
| Explorer, Outlook, MS Office).                                   |
| Kde nic neni, ani antivir nebere --> GNU/Linux, BSD, MacOS, QNX  |