Re: DXS REST Proposal

On 9/11/05, Jon Wood <jon instance-design co uk> wrote:

> While it will require writing libraries to process the information, I
> believe this will take less time in the long term than using SOAP.
>
> You can find the proposal at http://wiki.jellybob.co.uk/dxs

Hi Jon!

I thank you for your input, but I'll probably have to refer you to our
server guru Henrik, who is currently on vacation for a couple weeks.
There were no plans to get gnome-art working with our repository in
time for the Ubuntu Breezy release anyway, so we have some time.

Not being a guru myself with the backend stuff, there are a few things
I want to mention. We would really like to keep our code base as
similar to art.gnome.org as possible (although both our sites might be
evolving more quickly because of the good communication between our
two sites). If we're able to get the gnome-art app in Ubuntu's main
repository, it would also be good if as many art sites as possible
could use the server-side stuff - essentially making a HUGE
browse/preview/download/install repository of artwork. Miketech is the
main guy I've talked with regarding the SOAP idea, and I know multiple
art site support is in his mind too.

So unfortunately I can't give you any info right this second, but it
sounds like you're talking to the right people! If we can get Henrik,
miketech, maybe sabdfl, jdub, andyfitz and myself in an IRC chat at
some point, we could probably get a lot accomplished! That chat might
have to wait until after Breezy's release at this point though. The
next Ubuntu conference in Canada might be a good place to brainstorm
too. (can we get some webcams or something for us po' sickly folk that
can't travel ATM? :o)

Oh, BTW, I just noticed you sent this to Gnome's artweb-list and not
Ubuntu's (that's what I get for not sleeping). As the Ubuntu art team
coordinator, I'm going to send this reply to our list as well so
everyone is on the same page.

Thanks Jon!

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - http://www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu
Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere. ~ G.K. Chesterton