Re: DXS REST Proposal

An interesting proposal. I don't think we need to necessarily choose one way or the other in relation to SOAP vs. REST. Let's try both and see which one is the most successful!

I had planned on adding RSS feeds for a lot of the pages, using the URL to provide parameters. For example http://art.gnome.org/backgrounds/gnome/rss would list all the backgrounds in the GNOME category. This list could then be restricted using the same GET string format that the website currently uses (which we would obviously have to standardise on). For example:

? sort_by=name&thumbnails_per_page=12&view=list&order=DESC&resolution=1280 x1024

Obviously RSS is not an ideal format to display this information in, but it would allow people to subscribe to various customisable "channels". Applications might range from a simple "Latest 10 GNOME backgrounds", to a background changer script that loads a random background from a channel (e.g. from a "Top rated GNOME backgrounds" channel).

The advantage to using RSS is that there are already a lot of readers out there. However, if we also have feeds using the GHNS/DXS XML schema, then custom programs would be able to view a lot more details (such as comments, rating and license information).

-Thomas